Use of Google Maps

Started by clpratt, August 18, 2013, 03:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clpratt

I have been playing with the Map Panel and it's associated use of Google Maps to list and display photo locations.
This is a very useful part of IM5 but Mario warns that he may not be able to fully implement all the intended functions due to financial restraints.
Quote from IM5 Map Panel Help:

"Since I cannot afford to pay the Google Maps usage fees for all IMatch users, I'm currently considering alternatives".

I consider the functions in the map panel highly desirable and would be prepared to pay extra to have these features in IM5 either as an overall increase to the purchase price to cover the Google Maps licence costs, or perhaps pay extra for a IM5 Map Panel addon.

Please could Mario give consideration to including these features and give an indication of how much extra we each would have to pay to cover the extra cost.

cytochrome

Hello,

DId you have a look at this threat : https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=531.0

Using OSM maps is a free alternative, and even if this first app by Thrinn does not provide all the functionalities of the GM panel, it is a very promising start.

Francis

Ferdinand

Quote from: clpratt on August 18, 2013, 03:07:59 PM
Please could Mario give consideration to including these features and give an indication of how much extra we each would have to pay to cover the extra cost.

My understanding is that the charges are usage based, which makes it problematic for Mario to charge a set price to each user.

BenAW

I posted a simple app that shows Google Maps + Streetview and runs in the App Panels.
You can run this app using your own Google Key, so Mario won't be charged for your use.
Now we only need someone to write something like the Map Panel that runs in the App Panels  ::)
It should be distributed for free of course and not be part of the Imatch distribution.