External editor

Started by stephock, February 25, 2017, 03:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephock

I've searched for this, but can't find an answer.

At the moment, I can use the favourites panel to open a file in an external editor. Which I find completely counter-productive and a bit strange. But it works. But I don't use it. Too much fumbling around.

I actually open the right-click menu and ''open' the file in Windows' Explorer, and from there, right-click again to open the file in my editor. Long-winded. But it works, and is quicker than the drag option.

My question; can I add my preferred editor to the right-click menu?
I know I can change the windows default program, but I need that default to see files outside of IM. So I need a way of adding ANOTHER app to the right-click menu.

Can anyone help?

Mario

No. You can open your images in other applications via

+ the "Open with..." command in the context menu (Ctrl+Enter)
This is the default. It opens the selected files with the associated application.

+ the Windows shell context menu available in the Advanced commands (<Alt>+<Return>)

+ the Favorites Panel and thus via <F3> + keyboard shortcut you assign to your Favorite

+ by dragging the files from IMatch to the other application.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stephock

Thanks for that. Just what I've been doing.

Mario

QuoteMy question; can I add my preferred editor to the right-click menu?

Associate the file format with your preferred application in Windows (see Windows help if you don't know how to do this) and then you can open any file in IMatch with Ctrl+O.

Tip: IMatch shows the name of the associated application in the File Window context menu ("Open with Photoshop...") or similar.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

stephock

Yep,  I know,  thanks, Mario. The problem with that is that I don't want to associate a file type with an editor but with a viewer,  so that a quick click in Windows lets me view a file.

Mario

Yeah, well. There are limits, even for IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Yes.. I have had that issue in past as well... unfortunately - there are many applications that only use the default windows "open" app.. however, there are extensions you can add to the system for "edit"  and that would be a great option for these applications to access as well if setup to use instead.  I always use Irfanview as my default open application.. but have Photoshop setup as the "edit" option... a simple regkey edit and voila..  won't help directly . but its great for explorer right-click edits even in Imatch:

1. Open up the registry editor (Regedit.exe).
    You will need to be signed on as a Windows user that is an administrator

2. Find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> SystemFileAssociations -> image ->  shell -> edit -> command
    There are many key names that are very close - do a search to find it more easily

3. Double click on "Default" (on right window pane) and update the program location.
    You should see that MSPAINT.EXE is the current program.

Erase the existing value and enter you photoshop location in quotes followed by %1 in quotes.  Could be something like: "C:\Program Files  (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Photoshop.exe" "%1" 
    Hit return.

4.  Exit Regit and Enjoy!!

ubacher

QuoteAt the moment, I can use the favourites panel to open a file in an external editor. Which I find completely counter-productive and a bit strange. But it works. But I don't use it. Too much fumbling around.
I don't understand.
I select a file. I click "Photoshop" in my favorites panel and it opens the selected file(s) in Photoshop.

Counter productive? Strange? I thought this super-easy and convenient.
What am I missing?

pajaro

Quote from: ubacher on February 26, 2017, 11:31:10 AM
QuoteAt the moment, I can use the favourites panel to open a file in an external editor. Which I find completely counter-productive and a bit strange. But it works. But I don't use it. Too much fumbling around.
I don't understand.
I select a file. I click "Photoshop" in my favorites panel and it opens the selected file(s) in Photoshop.

Counter productive? Strange? I thought this super-easy and convenient.
What am I missing?

I don't understand the problem either. I use favorites to load other programs all the time. For me, keyboard shortcuts are even more convenient.

stephock

Well. I am used to using right-click menus, and as there is already an option to use the default program (useless for me), I just thought another entry would be convenient. Sorry you people don't understand. I do.

stephock

Thanks Jingo for that tip. I'm going to try that out now...

Mario

Quote from: stephock on February 26, 2017, 02:14:18 PM
Well. I am used to using right-click menus, and as there is already an option to use the default program (useless for me), I just thought another entry would be convenient. Sorry you people don't understand. I do.
Just make a Favorites for all your programs, and assign keyboard shortcuts to them.
Them you can open any file in any application you like with a mouse-click or a key press.
I think this is quite comfortable and flexible.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

zematima

Hi Jingo:
Tried what you wrote but can't find the option to edit with Photoshop neither in Explorer neither in IMatch.
Windows 10 , Photoshop CC 2017.
Can you put a picture just to see how it looks like?
Thanks in advance

Jingo

Hello... here is what it looks like in my Win10 system upon right-clicking an image in Explorer:

In Imatch - you still need to use Alt-Enter to get the windows right-click menu and from there you choose Edit.... not much quicker than just creating a favorite and keyboard shortcut.. but I use the edit vs open functionality constantly via Windows (XYPlorer in my case).

Hope this helps in some way..

zematima