Closing IM5 via Windows 10 Task Manager

Started by jeknepley, March 01, 2017, 02:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeknepley

I've noticed that when starting IM5, after it's been closed using Task Manager's End Task option, I get the IM5 message that IM5 didn't stop normally. After choosing the IM5 option to restart using the last used database things proceed normally and the DB Diagnostics complete with no errors.

I'm just curious about why this is... It appears that Win 10 isn't putting IM5 (or any program?) through the program's normal shutdown procedure. Anyone else experience this?

Mario

Quoteusing Task Manager's End Task option

When you forcefully close a program via Windows Task Manager, Windows just closes the process. Without giving the application time to propely close, clean up etc.
This can cause data loss, malfunctioning applications etc.

This is only intended as a last resort, when an application no longer responds. You should never to this without a good reason.

IMatch knows if it has closed properly. And it displays a message if this was not the case. The user needs to know so he can run a database diagnosis or research the reason why IMatch did not shut-down properly.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook