Changing File Names

Started by Thomsob, March 08, 2017, 03:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomsob

Hi, this probably sounds like a dangerous thing to do, but for a limited number of images, I want to use one of my attributes (name) to overwrite the file name!

Is this possible? I did make up a template and in the Tags I put "photools;;IMatch\file.name, and in the Data field I put my name attribute.

It writes the name to somewhere, not sure where, but it doesn't change the actual file name.

I do understand why this might not be supported!

cheers, Bruce

Mario

A Metadata Template (if this is what you mean with "template") allows you to change metadata in your files. This has nothing to do with the file name.

To re name a file, press <F2> in the file window.
To rename multiple files or to rename files based on Metadata or Attributes, use the Renamer (press <Ctrl>+<F2> to rename all selected files).
The Renamer is a very powerful tool and it has many options.
Press <F1> while the Renamer is open to load the corresponding help topic. Ot search for Renamer in the IMatch help index.

To use the contents of an IMatch Attribute as part of the file name, you use a text strep. Text steps support standard IMatch variables, and this allows you to use the contents of your Attribute as input. Just use the variable corresponding to the Attribute you want to use in the text step.

See the detailed explanation in the Renamer help.

Tip: You can try out variables in the Var Toy app in the App Panel.

Let us know if you need help with the variable or the Renamer.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook