AVI files never clearing unwritten metadata flag

Started by greg, March 15, 2017, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

Is there a solution for writing metadata to AVI files? When I open up the XMP files they look correct. For the few AVI files that I have, there doesn't seem to be a way to clear the unwritten metadata flag.

Mario

AVI files cannot contain any real metadata. Some AVI files may contain some metadata tags, though. All pretty messy, MS and others attempted to do different things and it depends on the software you used on these files what they contain. ExifTool may be able to read data from the file but not write it back.

Please check the ExifTool output panel (View menu > Panels > Output) to see if ExifTool is attempting to write to the AVI file and which error message it returns when you trigger a write-back. The IMatch log file should also contain warnings in case of ExifTool errors.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

greg

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure exactly what finally allowed the unwritten metadata flag to clear on those AVI files, but it did. I'll take gimme on that one, the same as if friends offered a gimme near the hole at golf.