Categorize by Color

Started by esha, March 22, 2017, 03:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esha

I have a large collection of image resources for texturing 3D objects. For example, seamless images of blue denim, or brown wood, or red leather.
Is it possible to have IMatch recognize the dominant color in an image on its own and categorize images accordingly? Or do I have to do this manually?

Mario

IMatch can categorize files automatically based on metadata, Attributes and other data.
If you have the 'color' somewhere in the metadata of the file, you can use it.

There is no feature in IMatch which automatically categorizes files by their dominant color(s). As far as I recall, such a feature was also never requested. Feel free to add a feature request in the feature request board.

Tips:

The Filter Panel has a color filter which allows you to filter files by their dominant color.
Once you have filtered the files, select them and assign them to a category of your choice via the metadata panel.
This should speed up the process considerably.

You can also use the Search > Visually Similar Images to find matching files for all currently selected files in color and/or shape.
Again, you can then select and categorize the results.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

esha

Unfortunately, these files don't have any metadata.

Quote from: Mario on March 22, 2017, 03:50:59 PM
The Filter Panel has a color filter which allows you to filter files by their dominant color.
Once you have filtered the files, select them and assign them to a category of your choice via the metadata panel.
This should speed up the process considerably.

This sounds good!
How do I access this filter? In my Filter Panel I don't have anything to filter for colors. I have:
- Rating, Label & Collections
- File Properties
- File Name
- Orientation & Dimensions
- GPS
- Value Filter

No Color filter. According to the Help File it should be between Rating, Label & Collections and File Properties but it isn't. Could that feature be missing from the current version? I'm using IMatch 5.8.4

Mario

Click on the Gear icon in the Filter panel to enable more filters.
See the Filter panel help for details and information about all available filters.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

esha