IPTC Data reappearing in versions

Started by Pawel, April 17, 2021, 02:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pawel

I deleted all IPTC data from all my master and version files. Then I noticed there is a small IPTC record reappearing in my versions after rescan containing only IPTC tags "Coded Character Set" and "Envelope Version".

After some investigation I found that's because I enabled propagating IPTC data to version per IMatch Help file: "If your versions have IPTC data, always enable the option to copy IPTC data for propagation when you propagate XMP data. If the master has no IPTC data, IPTC data will be deleted in the version as well. Else the master IPTC data will be copied, ensuring that XMP and IPTC data are synchronized properly."

After I switched IPTC data propagation the IPTC record is not created in versions.

Is it expected behaviour?

Pawel

Just to clarify: after I switched IPTC data propagation off the IPTC record is not created in versions.

Mario

IMatch by default only creates legacy IPTC data when the target file already has legacy IPTC data. This is in accordance with common standards and practices.
You usually don't propagate legacy ITPC data unless you absolutely have to. XMP is the much better alternative. But if the version has a legacy IPTC record, this may still create legacy IPTC data due to XMP>IPTC mapping.
Version management is complex, and files may contain all kinds of troublesome metadata.

Don't propagate legacy IPTC. Only propagate XMP IPTCCore and IPTCExt.
Check the versions for existing legacy IPTC data.

Provide master and version files which allow to reproduce this behavior and detailed info about your version settings (screen shots of what you propagate).
Without this data, I can only guess what the problem is and we waste time on both ends.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook