Dictionary install comment

Started by WzeroMN, May 23, 2017, 02:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WzeroMN

I just went through the process of installing the spell check dictionary. Help says it is not included due to size and license. I thought there were open source dictionaries. In any case it is not a big step and the help file showed exactly what to do.
I think it would be nice if there were a function to download it and install it from within the interface. Some could have problems with getting to the correct dictionary and explaining the zipped file.

The English was only 224 Kb which is minute these days. It is about 10 percent the size of the executable installer. I really do not see that as a problem. Most have fast access these days. That is the creators decision though. All would be easier if the user did not have to download, rename, unzip, and manually copy to the dictionary.

On the other hand the help file did its job again and I used it this time :-)

:) :) :)
Hierro cnadente, batir de repente

jch2103

As Mario has said a number of times, licensing issues are the main reason that dictionaries aren't included in the installer. Size gets to be an issue when you consider how many languages IMatch users speak/read...
John

Mario

By the license of these dictionaries, everybody can use them, but I cannot include them / ship them with in a commercial product (which IMatch is). That's that. I respect licenses, always.

I try to keep the dictionary help up-to-date, but the open source web sites shuffle around their stuff all the time. I had to change 3 links again for the help included in IMatch 2017. That's just how it is.

QuoteSome could have problems with getting to the correct dictionary

How would I know the correct dictionary? If a user is unable to find the dictionary for his language on the download site, IMatch will be unable to find it too.
I don't know more than you do. The links in the help point directly at the download page. All a user needs to do is a Ctrl+F in their browser to find whatever dictionary language and variant they want.

Quoteand explaining the zipped file.

I agree that it seems to be a problem for some users to expand a ZIP file and copying two files into a folder. Some users send me screen shots they took with their smart phone (actually making a photo of their monitor!) - because they don't know what the 'Print Screen' key on their keyboard is for...

The new scripting system in IMatch 2017 will make it easier to implement a functionality you are requesting.
But I will have to maintain it. Somehow include links to dictionaries of all major languages, then asking the user which of these languages he wants, download, extract the two files from the ZIP and copy them into the dictionary folder.
I will have to maintain this app for each update, always checking the links to ensure they still work, maybe add or remove languages etc.  A lot of extra effort on my already full plate...

I suggest you add a feature request in the feature request board. Then we can see how many other users would also like to have such a feature.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

WzeroMN

I actually agree with you since the help is as complete as can be expected with the changing sources and since this is a one time inconvenience. Too bad about the license issue but I understand our wish to respect it. That really means they are not truly free but as close as they can be.
I would rather you spend your time om more important things.
This is closed as far as I am concerned.
Hierro cnadente, batir de repente