Thumbnail Images not scaling with the frame

Started by greg, May 01, 2017, 11:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

When I use the slider to make the thumbnail frames larger the images don't get larger. Do I have something configured wrong or is this a limitation?

Mario

It would be helpful if you could include a screen shot. What do you mean with "thumbnail frame"? Which feature of IMatch do you refer to?

If you mean the file window. The thumbnails in your database have a fixed size. By default, IMatch uses 300 x 300 pixel. You control that under Edit > Preferences > Database. Press <F1> in that dialog for details.

If you make your thumbnail panels larger than this, you have more room for data, but the thumbnail will not display larger than 300 pixels.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

greg

I was thinking there might be a way to have dynamic sizing of the thumbnail images. Your explanation is fine.

Mario

Thumbnails are stored within the database. The larger you configure the thumbnails, the larger your database will become. Some users have thumbnails up to 1000 pixel, but usually 300 is all you ever need, even on 4K displays. If you want to see a larger version of the image, use the Quick View Panel, the Viewer or the Slide Show.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

greg

As a future enhancement how about using the size of the thumbnail set in preference to be the maximum size of a thumbnail? This would allow scaling thumbnails up to the maximum thumbnail size while controlling the maximum size of the database. This would be useful to allow thumbnails to be scaled down for large selections and still have a larger size for normal viewing.

Mario

This is the maximum size for thumbnails.
If you dial in 300 pixel, IMatch creates thumbnails with the long edge set to 300 pixel.

The file window and other features which display thumbnails scale thumbnails down, but never up. If the thumbnail in the database is 300 pixel, this is the largest size you will get. You may see the thumbnail with 150 or 80 pixel in other features, e.g., thumbnail strips, the tooltips for version stacks, folders, categories etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

greg

Thanks for your reply. I surely missed that.

thrinn

According to the IMatch help (Configuring IMatch -> Database), a forced rescan should also refresh the tumbnails:
QuoteTo re-create thumbnails with the new size you can rescan one or more folders or even drives with the Force Update option enabled in the rescan dialog

Does this not work for you?
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

greg

Quote from: thrinn on May 08, 2017, 09:34:43 PM
According to the IMatch help (Configuring IMatch -> Database), a forced rescan should also refresh the tumbnails:
QuoteTo re-create thumbnails with the new size you can rescan one or more folders or even drives with the Force Update option enabled in the rescan dialog

Does this not work for you?
It worked once I figured out that a forced rescan was necessary and then found the key sequence. I went to database tab help for the info that a ctl+scan would provide access to forced rescan the resize took place. I suppose add or update files menu command with the forced rescan would also work.