Read-only

Started by cthomas, May 11, 2017, 04:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthomas

I have about eight IMatch 5 databases created on different dates. And until yesterday I could open any of them with out any problem. And now when I open any of them they only will open in Read-only. So I created a new database yesterday and now it will only open in read-only. What is going wrong?

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Maybe you have accidentally enabled the option to open databases in read-only mode in the Database menu?
This option is useful in environments where multiple users share IMatch databases.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on May 11, 2017, 06:10:16 PM
Maybe you have accidentally enabled the option to open databases in read-only mode in the Database menu?
This option is useful in environments where multiple users share IMatch databases.

:o Maybe you have accidentally enabled the option to open databases in read-only mode. I did not.
I created a new database in a new folder. I get a message saying the database is ready to use.  I close IMatch and then I reopen IMatch
And then when it is about half-way through being open I get the message that that is being opened in read-only mode.

When I open IMatch this way there is no way to click on : Open Database in read-only mode. How can I fix this?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

Show me the IMatch log file. This will tell me precisely why IMatch is opening the database in read-only mode.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on May 11, 2017, 09:52:04 PM
Show me the IMatch log file. This will tell me precisely why IMatch is opening the database in read-only mode.

How can I get the log file?
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

You have provided log files in the past on several occasions. Nothing's changed.

As always: The IMatch help is your friend. Type log file into the Help Index to find the related info.
Or, go to Help > Support > Copy Log File.
ZIP the log and attach to your post.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on May 11, 2017, 10:29:22 PM
You have provided log files in the past on several occasions. Nothing's changed.

As always: The IMatch help is your friend. Type log file into the Help Index to find the related info.
Or, go to Help > Support > Copy Log File.
ZIP the log and attach to your post.

I thinjk this is it.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

The log says:

'G:\...\IMatch Database.imd5' for thread 25C0 (9664)  Database file read-only/on read-only media. Read-only requested.

Read-only requested means that the user has requested to open the database in read-only mode. And this is the case when the "Open in read-only mode" option is enabled in the database menu. See my post above.
Alternatively, check that the folder containing the database file is writable.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on May 11, 2017, 11:48:20 PM
The log says:

'G:\...\IMatch Database.imd5' for thread 25C0 (9664)  Database file read-only/on read-only media. Read-only requested.

Read-only requested means that the user has requested to open the database in read-only mode. And this is the case when the "Open in read-only mode" option is enabled in the database menu. See my post above.
Alternatively, check that the folder containing the database file is writable.

How can I make this folder containing the database file is writable?

It looks like this is the problem.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

By default, folders are writable in Windows. If the G: disk or the folder is not writable, you need to undo whatever you did.
Please see the extensive Windows help and many tutorials out there on the web which explain about Windows file system permissions, user permissions and suchlike. This is not an IMatch topic.

Double-check that the option to open all databases in read-only mode in IMatch is not enabled. This is more likely than read-only folders.

The log file shows that the database is opened in read-only mode by users request. And that is precisely what this option does. It tells IMatch to open the database in read-only mode so it can be opened by other users as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on May 12, 2017, 01:04:14 AM
By default, folders are writable in Windows. If the G: disk or the folder is not writable, you need to undo whatever you did.
Please see the extensive Windows help and many tutorials out there on the web which explain about Windows file system permissions, user permissions and suchlike. This is not an IMatch topic.

Double-check that the option to open all databases in read-only mode in IMatch is not enabled. This is more likely than read-only folders.

The log file shows that the database is opened in read-only mode by users request. And that is precisely what this option does. It tells IMatch to open the database in read-only mode so it can be opened by other users as well.

Mario I created a new IMatch database on my G: folder. I then had a Dell techine  to log in to my computer and made some changes to the the files that was created when I created the new data base and when I started up IMatch it did not start up as read-only. and I could rename a file.

Here is the log file.

Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

Mario

This database is not opened in read-only mode and neither is the folder/drive read-only. This is how it should be. Probably your file system permissions on the G: drive were messed up or something.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator