Log Files

Started by WzeroMN, May 14, 2017, 01:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WzeroMN

I asked where to find log files and was told they are in TEMP. TEMP has hundreds and hundreds of files. I would like to know just exactly how to find log files created by Imatch.
There are just too many things with the name of temp or with temp as part of the name in Windows. Finding the file has been an exercise in futility.
This is by no means a critical problem because you usually get an informative message.
Hierro cnadente, batir de repente

hro

And of course you can find exactly what you are looking for in the IMatch Help file. Just search for "log file"  8) 8)

This is the result you get:
=======================================
The IMatch Log file
IMatch uses a special text file to store statistical information and data about warnings and errors encountered while IMatch was running. This log file can be very helpful when you have to diagnose problems.

The IMatch log file is contained in the file IMATCH5_LOG.txt. This file is stored in the TEMP folder on your computer. To view, copy or control the log file, use the commands provided under Help > Support. In this menu you have options control to log mode, to display the current log file (via Windows Notepad) and to copy the log file to a different file on your disk. This allows you to take snapshots of the "hot" log file while IMatch is running, e.g., right after you've run into a problem or bug.
=======================================

Happy studying ... your help file.

Mario

And there are the "View Log File" and "Copy Log File..." commands in the Help > Support menu as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

WzeroMN

I tried to find it in help fie but did not use that key word. I promise to try harder next time. Thanks a lot for the reply. I guess I need to read the help file like a novel and learn more about all it contains.  At least I guess I should scan the index. Thanks again.
Hierro cnadente, batir de repente

Mario

The words in the index are hand-crafted by me. Searching for log will already  bring up the log file topic You did not tell how you tried to find information about the log file so I cannot add additional keywords.

If you are new to IMatch, start with the topics right on the front page of the help.

First Steps.
Meeting IMatch.

The Visual Index gives you a visual overview of all major features.

The topics on the front page of the help are grouped by tasks and activities and should lead you to the information you need quickly.
Also, the tree of contents on the left.

Tip: Each page has a table of contents at the top which expands on click.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook