Keyword Organisation

Started by P.Jones, May 20, 2017, 07:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P.Jones

I've been working on my keywords and doing a bit of rearranging to try and get them in to a well-ordered nested hierarchical structure.

My last hurdle to complete my task is 'People'.

At the moment my current layout is similar to the left hand side of pic and my proposed layout is shown on the right.

I know there's a hundred and one different layouts one could choose to do this but if you could show me how you arrange yours this would help me to come up with a final solution, particularly for  the 'Family' layout.

Mario

If you try to model a n:m hierarchy in a 1:n structure like categories or keywords, you have to make compromises. In IMatch, each category can have only one parent, same for XMP/IPTC keywords.

It all depends on how large your family is and how complicated you are prepared to make this. Genealogy applications use n:m hierarchies to properly model family trees. Maybe we will see such a feature in a future iMatch version...who knows. The new technology introduced in IMatch 2017 makes a lot of exciting things possible...

I had some success with setting up a person category hierarchy.

Then using alias categories and formulas to "link" these persons into family hierarchies. "Joe" can be both a father and a son, an uncle and a friend. To keep things simple, it is a good idea to have only one "Joe" category and then using alias categories or formula categories to produce "Jon" clone categories where needed.

You can quickly create Alias categories or use drag and drop (Hold down Ctrl+Shft to create a reference category, for example).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook