IMatch 2017 Just Released Thread

Started by Mario, May 25, 2017, 09:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Discuss the IMatch 2017 Release here, if you like.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

Congratulations Mario!!

Just installed  ;D
Installation went smooth
iMatch 5.x still seems to work as before :-)
Starting testing

;D ;D ;D

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

ben

Cool, i like the video preview :-)
Is there an easy way to filter for all video files, even with different file extensions?

thrinn

Just to confirm: Download and installation went smooth and fast. User interface and map panel seems to be even more responsive than before.
Congratulations, Mario!

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Quote from: ben on May 25, 2017, 09:51:55 PM
Cool, i like the video preview :-)
Is there an easy way to filter for all video files, even with different file extensions?
Good.

You can enable the "File Format Filter" in the Filter Panel. Check all your video formats and then save this filter under "Video Files" for later. Then you can filter for videos with one click.

Or, create a data-driven category which filters by extension. This way you have either all videos in one category or in sub-categories per format - whatever you prefer.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: thrinn on May 25, 2017, 09:42:53 PM
Shame! I was not the first one  ;D
Sorry. It seems that the first user upgraded 1 minute (!) after I released the software. I had not even announced it or anything. Coincidence, most likely. I will start sending out emails to all 5.5 users tomorrow or Saturday.

The users who purchased after October 24. 2016 already got their free upgrade. I've added an extra month to the grace period to be extra fair    

And for all the hard work and hassle today, my Oscilloscope just went up in blue smoke. Aarrghh. Damnation!   
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: thrinn on May 25, 2017, 10:03:08 PM
Just to confirm: Download and installation went smooth and fast. User interface and map panel seems to be even more responsive than before.
Congratulations, Mario!

The entire system should be more responsive, especially for large databases.

The Map panel uses version 4 of OpenLayers (latest) and the most recent version of Goggle Maps. And everything runs in the Chromium browser, which has the fastest JavaScript engine available today. I've spared no expenses for IMatch 2017  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

pajaro

Sorry. It seems that the first user upgraded 1 minute (!) after I released the software. I had not even announced it or anything. Coincidence, most likely. I will start sending out emails to all 5.5 users tomorrow or Saturday.

I  got announcement from the Community that a new topic ("IMatch 2017 has been released!") has been posted. I was too slow with processing the payment, it took me more than 20 minutes  :( . I am not at my computer so I will have to postpone testing until tomorrow. Cannot wait

J.D. McDowell

New version, that's exciting news.

I just downloaded my purchase. Looking forward to checking it out!  ;D

jch2103

Just downloaded and installed IMatch 2017. No issues with purchase and download. I did have some delay in starting IM 2017; not sure if this was the issue, but Windows Defender was very busy using my C drive at the same time as IM 2107. After a number of minutes, I restarted the computer, and had no issues starting IM 2107. I previously made a copy of my IM5 database so I wouldn't have any issues running the old version (not that I expect any...).

Now to check it out. Excellent progress!
John

jcldl

Hello Mario I have just bought and  have download Imatch2017.5.2.msi. I installed imatch, but when I try launching Imatch2017.exe nothing happens. I have Windows 10 64 bits last update. What can I do. Thanks for help
jcldl

Mario

Quote from: jcldl on May 25, 2017, 10:52:30 PM
Hello Mario I have just bought and  have download Imatch2017.5.2.msi. I installed imatch, but when I try launching Imatch2017.exe nothing happens. I have Windows 10 64 bits last update. What can I do. Thanks for help
No idea. Check the TEMP folder for the IMatch log file.

1. Open the temp folder by typing

%TEMP%

into the address bar of Windows Explorer.

2. The name of the IMatch 2017 log file is IMATCH6_LOG.TXT

3. ZIP and attach.

Just in case: Reboot your PC once, then retry.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on May 25, 2017, 10:56:03 PM
No idea. Check the TEMP folder for the IMatch log file.
Just in case: Reboot your PC once, then retry.

This seems to be what happened to me (Windows Defender??). Reboot seems to have fixed the issue. Log and migrate log attached.  (ps - IMatch is still running; I didn't close it before copying the log.)

EDIT: I installed IM2017 on my laptop (also Win10/64), didn't have any install issues there.
John

beellecee

:D Much faster catalogue rebuild! Worth the wait. Thanks Mario!

[Edit: ...as in faster everything!]

Mario

Quote from: jch2103 on May 25, 2017, 11:06:00 PM
This seems to be what happened to me (Windows Defender??). Reboot seems to have fixed the issue. Log and migrate log attached.  (ps - IMatch is still running; I didn't close it before copying the log.)
The logs look nice and shiny. The extra migration log IMatch 2017 stores shows that all IMatch 5 settings where migrated perfectly. I've tested IMatch 2017 with Windows Defender, two other virus engines and even VirusTotal without any issues. As I always say (in German): "Boot tut gut" (which roughly translates into "Boot does good")  :P
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Menace

Installation works perfect. I like the UI of the new App- and Map-Panel: But - Now there are different greys (more of a brown grey of the "old UI" and more blue-grey of the new Panels). It's not a big deal, but should be the UI have a neutral grey like a greycard?

Nevertheless all works smooth and nice. The Renamer is now incredible fast (SSD).

Great Work, Mario, Again.  :D

Mario

No changes in the Renamer.
The "slate" theme used for most of the IMatch 2017 apps is the same theme IMatch Anywhere uses.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Menace

Quote from: Mario on May 26, 2017, 12:27:50 AM
No changes in the Renamer.

Maybe it is faster, because I used Tags from Darwin Core ([Genus] [species] - [German name] - 0001) and the categories are faster?

QuoteThe "slate" theme used for most of the IMatch 2017 apps is the same theme IMatch Anywhere uses.
I really have to try Imatch Anywhere.  :D

Mario

The IMatch Anywhere WebViewer uses the Slate theme by default, but can also be switched to a 'White' theme, which looks better on Apple devices because it matches the look of other typical software on these devices. I also ship a app white theme with IMatch 2017 It is used for many of the sample scripts.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Lincoln

Downloaded on a slow internet connection. Installed and runs great  ;D Can't wait to explore the new features

Ger

Similar problem here: after installation of IM2017, nothing happens. Reboot didn't work, disabling a F-secure prodcuts didn't resolve the issue.

Log file created: IMATCH6_CEFLOG.TXT (in c:\users...\temp\) Contents of the logfile:

[0526/112542.573:ERROR:icu_util.cc(173)] Invalid file descriptor to ICU data received.

Ger

awoxx

Quote from: Ger on May 26, 2017, 11:28:25 AM
Similar problem here: after installation of IM2017, nothing happens. Reboot didn't work, disabling a F-secure prodcuts didn't resolve the issue.

Log file created: IMATCH6_CEFLOG.TXT (in c:\users...\temp\) Contents of the logfile:

[0526/112542.573:ERROR:icu_util.cc(173)] Invalid file descriptor to ICU data received.

Ger

Moin Mario,

exact the same problem here, logfile dito. Reboot with no success... Win 10, 64 bits

RainerG

me too: "[0526/122335.427:ERROR:icu_util.cc(173)] Invalid file descriptor to ICU data received." --> IMATCH6_CEFLOG.TXT (only one line)
https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=6578.0;topicseen
RainerGausH
www.BunteReisebilder.de

BanjoTom

I had the same problem -- no response when I tried to launch IM2017 -- but a reboot seems to have fixed it.  I explored some of the new features a bit, and it's (as usual) very impressive.  Thanks again to  Marvelous Mario!  :)
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Mario

Quote from: Ger on May 26, 2017, 11:28:25 AM

Ger
Chromium (the embedded browser in IMatch) cannot find some of its data files. These files are installed in the IMatch program files folder. Please attach your IMatch log file so I can see the folder layout and where IMatch is expecting these files. Maybe an installer problem, a security issue...

Do you have installed IMatch in the official folder for applications (<system drive>:\program files (x86)... ?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Boom!  Just downloaded and ready to play... thx Mario... another fine product release!!

Ger

I could not find another IMatch6 log file, except for the IMATCH6_CEFLOG.TXT in the %temp% folder

I indeed do (normally) install IMatch in a directory below: c:\apps\graph apps\..., however, I already tried to install in c:\programfiles (x86) as well. Same result.

Ger

Small update
- Uninstall of IMatch 2017
- Set Debug logging on 5.8.4 (no clue whether this has impact on a setting)
- Installed IMatch 2017 in its default folder (c:\program files (x86)
- Restarted IMatch 2017

Attached log files

clpratt

IMatch 2017 installed and running well, but Malwarebytes is telling me that two IMatch files are a Ransomeware Agent, and it tells me to reboot my pc to complete the quarantine process.
When I do this IMatch  does not run anymore and has to be repaired.
Anybody else got this problem.
I ran ESET and Windows Defender, neither sees IMatch as a threat.

mastodon

Everything went flawless. Win64 HUN. Map panel is super fast, so much better!

Mario

Quote from: clpratt on May 26, 2017, 04:11:56 PM

IMatch 2017 installed and running well, but Malwarebytes is telling me that two IMatch files are a Ransomeware Agent, and it tells me to reboot my pc to complete the quarantine process.
When I do this IMatch  does not run anymore and has to be repaired.
Anybody else got this problem.
I ran ESET and Windows Defender, neither sees IMatch as a threat.

I test IMatch / IMatch Anywhere with 3 (!) different virus checkers before I release it.
I also test the trial version using Google's VirusTotal.com. You can use this service for free, it tests uploaded files with 40 anti-virus engines.
I sign each executable file and the installer with my personal digital certificate. If the file is tampered with, Windows will tell you.
I also publish the SHA checksums of all downloads in the customer portal.

If your anti-virus things IMatch has a virus and removes parts of the IMatch installation (quarantine it) it is normal that IMatch will not longer run.
I'm sure that this is a false positive. Please contact your anti-virus vendor and tell them about the false positive. They will tell you what to do.

PS: I tested the trial version of IMA on VirusTotal.com and Malwarebytes hpHosts gives it a green thumbs up...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: mastodon on May 26, 2017, 05:55:40 PM
(...)Map panel is super fast, so much better!
That's to be expected. IMatch uses a very fast internal browser with very fast JavaScript. And for the Map Panel it uses the latest OpenLayer version for Bing, OpenStreetMap and Stamen (great map for presentations!), and I have implemented everything separately for Google Maps. This just flies.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

erichaas

Just installed it, and everything seems to be working just fine. It did take a really long time to start up the very first time, but otherwise no issues so far. I'm also running Malwarebytes, and it is not reporting any problems.

lnh

So far everything has been smooth. The new Map Panel... ++++++.

mastodon

A very minor thing: would it be possible to change the default value of sorting in the sample category "ISO" from Alphabetically to Standard? It is more logical.
I have changed it, it is easy. :)

loweskid

Same thing happened with me.  When I double-clicked the icon a second time it said that IMatch was already running - Task Manager showed two instances of IMatch in 'Processes' but nothing in 'Apps'.  Re-booted twice, then shut down and restarted but still didn't run.

Then, just as I was about to post on this forum, it suddenly started..!

Closed IMatch and restarted and it now seems okay.

I would suggest if anyone has the same problem just to wait a few minutes and see if it starts.

hro

Just upgraded to IM2017. Very smooth and no problems whatsoever. I am very glad I invested in the upgrade. Fantastic work Mario.

I have one observation which may be of interest to others. Upon first run IMatch took almost five minutes until the UI appeared. I kept it running and checked the logs. I realised that the first task was apparently copying the previewcache from Imatch5. Had I not checked I could have concluded that IMatch hangs and killed it.

Perhaps adding a note to the release notes could be useful.

Cheers. Hartmut

twe

Quote from: hro on May 27, 2017, 07:07:20 AM
Just upgraded to IM2017. Upon first run IMatch took almost five minutes until the UI appeared. I kept it running
Cheers. Hartmut

Same here.  Installed IM2017 on Win10x64 Pro...nothing happend when starting application. Rebooted, and still no response when opening application....(task running in taskmanager), waited 10 minutes and Imatch opened.  Would have expexted a splash screen first, and thein 10 minutes om importing\converting old database. But anyway, now it works !

I have lots of mp4 video files recorded with Samsung Galaxy S7, and do not get to play them in QuickView panel...just displayed as a image. if I press ctrl+ente vide open i media player and runs fine. Was expecting better video support, so what can I do play files in Imatch ?

Mario

Quote from: mastodon on May 26, 2017, 11:47:09 PM
A very minor thing: would it be possible to change the default value of sorting in the sample category "ISO" from Alphabetically to Standard? It is more logical.
I have changed it, it is easy. :)
I have left that to the user so he can learn how easy it is to change this if so desired.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: hro on May 27, 2017, 07:07:20 AM
Just upgraded to IM2017. Very smooth and no problems whatsoever. I am very glad I invested in the upgrade. Fantastic work Mario.

I have one observation which may be of interest to others. Upon first run IMatch took almost five minutes until the UI appeared. I kept it running and checked the logs. I realised that the first task was apparently copying the previewcache from Imatch5. Had I not checked I could have concluded that IMatch hangs and killed it.

Perhaps adding a note to the release notes could be useful.

Cheers. Hartmut
That's a good hint. I did not consider this or show an extra message. If you have left the default preview cache location, it will be part of the %PRGRAMDATA\photools.com\imatch5% folder hierarchy. Since users demanded that IMatch 2017 has its own settings and must run side-by-side with IMatch 5 (something I really could have do without) it must copy all the files, including the cache. And if your cache is very large, this can take some time. Important point.

I will change IMatch to show a progress dialog or something so the user knows that something is going on.
Problem is, the migration is performed before IMatch really starts. It has no access to resources or anything at the time, the UI is not up yet etc. I cannot even show localized (translated) messages at this time. Difficult...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: twe on May 27, 2017, 08:08:38 AM
I have lots of mp4 video files recorded with Samsung Galaxy S7, and do not get to play them in QuickView panel...just displayed as a image. if I press ctrl+ente vide open i media player and runs fine. Was expecting better video support, so what can I do play files in Imatch ?
You cannot. Playing a video in an application causes all kinds of legal implications. The technology to play video files is massively protected by patents and other legal things. You need a specialized lawyer just to figure out which organizations you must contact to make contracts and how much to pay them every year for the right to use, for example, MPEG technology. I cannot afford all that. They make some exceptions for open source and free software (e.g., KODI or VLC) but not for commercial software.,

IMatch handles metadata of video files (at least for the files which have some). It allows you to index, find and categorize your files. It allows you to see several frames in the file window. For all else, please use the built-in video player in Windows, one or the many free video player apps or you browser (if you work with standard MP4 files which are supported by the HTML5 standard).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

twe

Quote from: Mario on May 27, 2017, 08:19:24 AM
Quote from: twe on May 27, 2017, 08:08:38 AM
You cannot. Playing a video in an application causes all kinds of legal implications. The technology to play video files is massively protected by patents and other legal things. You need a specialized lawyer just to figure out which organizations you must contact to make contracts and how much to pay them every year for the right to use, for example, MPEG technology. I cannot afford all that. They make some exceptions for open source and free software (e.g., KODI or VLC) but not for commercial software.,

IMatch handles metadata of video files (at least for the files which have some). It allows you to index, find and categorize your files. It allows you to see several frames in the file window. For all else, please use the built-in video player in Windows, one or the many free video player apps or you browser (if you work with standard MP4 files which are supported by the HTML5 standard).

Oh. Still in the IM2017 helpfile:
The Quick View Panel embeds the Windows MCI video player when you select a video or supported audio file. This allows you to preview videos or listen to MP3 files, at least as long as the formats are supported by the video player built into Windows" 
So this does not apply in IM2017 ?

clpratt

In IMatch 5 I always used Pack & Go.
When closing IMatch5 I would select Run Backup and a second box would appear showing what was going to be backed up and a 'Go' button.
Now in IM2017 when I choose to Run Backup there is no second box and no indication that Pack & Go is running.
Is this correct please.

Mario

Quote from: twe on May 27, 2017, 08:45:45 AM
Oh. Still in the IM2017 helpfile:
The Quick View Panel embeds the Windows MCI video player when you select a video or supported audio file. This allows you to preview videos or listen to MP3 files, at least as long as the formats are supported by the video player built into Windows" 
So this does not apply in IM2017 ?
No. I've disabled the playback for video files supported by MCI. This component is crap and often crashes (and this crashes IMatch). It did not support Apple formats anyway (MOV, MP4), only Microsoft formats like AVI or WMV. I doubt that this would have helped you. I will update the paragraph from the help file, thanks for the tip.

It' still used to play MP3 files, though. Until I find the time to write an app which does this a lot better.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Quote from: clpratt on May 27, 2017, 10:33:20 AM

In IMatch 5 I always used Pack & Go.
When closing IMatch5 I would select Run Backup and a second box would appear showing what was going to be backed up and a 'Go' button.
Now in IM2017 when I choose to Run Backup there is no second box and no indication that Pack & Go is running.
Is this correct please.
Is the Backup reminder enabled under Edit > Preferences Application: Settings ?
Does Pack & Go Run? Did you check the log files? Any Error message or something?
Can you run Pack & Go from the Database menu?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

@All Users

This thread is becoming convoluted.
Users reporting totally different and unrelated issues, and all this washed up in this "initial feedback" thread. This makes it almost impossible to keep track of who said what and what I've replied.

If you have a question or a problem, please start a new thread.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator