Filter Panel Active - non active (2nd)

Started by Gerd, August 21, 2013, 10:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerd

Hi,

in the screenshot you can see, that not all pics of the selected category are shown. This depends on settings in an active filter-panel.

I have the filter-panel in an extra tab. Here I want to have the tab colored, if the filter-panel is working, as a reminder. Otherwise it is easy to forget that it is still active.

Is this possible?

Regards
Gerd

[attachment deleted by admin]
_______
Regards
Gerd

BenAW

Quote from: Gerd on August 21, 2013, 10:13:59 PM
I have the filter-panel in an extra tab. Here I want to have the tab colored, if the filter-panel is working, as a reminder. Otherwise it is easy to forget that it is still active.

Is this possible?
Actually the whole bar above the images changes colour when a filter is active ( the blue colour in your screenshot).
Suggest to change this colour to bright red or something like that, so it will be even more visible then.

Mario

When a filter is active,

The file window caption:

+ changes to blue
+ shows a filter icon,
+ shows the number of files filtered

(in IMatch 5.0.108 and later you can even disable the filter by clicking on the funnel icon).

I don't think we need any more visual hints.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Gerd

OK, now I saw it, that the color changes ... but a text too would be better ... or move the Filter-icon from the left of the line to the middle of the line and maybe in red ...

(see screenshot)

Regaqrds
Gerd

_______
Regards
Gerd

BenAW

Quote from: Gerd on August 22, 2013, 09:51:53 AM
OK, now I saw it, that the color changes ... but a text too would be better ... or move the Filter-icon from the left of the line to the middle of the line and maybe in red ...
If you didn't notice the whole bar above the images changing colour, I doubt that moving the little icon will make much difference.
Perhaps a siren or alarm when the filter is active might be an idea?

Mario

QuotePerhaps a siren or alarm when the filter is active might be an idea?
:)

Gerd, if no filter is active, the file window caption bar is colored dark gray. It changes to blue when a filter is active, and only then the filter icon is shown.
The place you indicate for the icon is usually covered by the folder or category name (in your example the name is very short, it is usually much longer).

You can change the color of the "filter" caption bar under Edit > Preferences > File Window. If the blue is not sufficient, you can change the color to a bright red or yellow so you won't overlook it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

BenAW

Quote from: Mario on August 22, 2013, 07:59:40 AM
(in IMatch 5.0.108 and later you can even disable the filter by clicking on the funnel icon).
This goes a long long way towards Mantis 223.
I think you can close that one.

BenAW

This is how my screen looks when a filter is active (see screenshot)
I see no reason whatsoever to add even more indications of an active filter.
(normally I have the Filter Panel in Auto-Hide)

Gerd

Ok,

thanks for the hints!  I will change the color!  :)

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

Gerd

Hi,
short addition, not soo import now,

to move the filter-icon to middle should not be a problem, because it is in the second row.

If filter is anabled, the first row has less place, because now the main caption-text is moved a little bit to the right.

So moving the filter-icon to the middle, can have an positive eefect for both: more space available for the main caption text and a better info, that filtering is busy!  ;)

Regards
Gerd

_______
Regards
Gerd

ubacher

Is there a reason the currently active filter(s) can only be turned OFF by clicking on the funnel icon in the  window caption bar.
Would be convenient to also be able to turn it back on this way.
(And, of course, having the name of the currently active filter beside the funnel icon would be handy too - But difficult to do)

Mario

When you deactivate the filter, the funnel icon is gone. No way to click it again. And clicking on a folder or category icon to activate a filter would be counter-intuitive...

In general, filters are managed and used via the Filter panel. There you can also see which filters are active (could be more than one).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

BenAW

Quote from: ubacher on October 13, 2013, 06:38:33 PM
Is there a reason the currently active filter(s) can only be turned OFF by clicking on the funnel icon in the  window caption bar.
I had a similar discussion with Mario about the Filter not being active after program start, when you closed the program with a filter active.
Problem seems to be that the Filter can not be activated when the Filter panel is NOT open.
Mario has tried quite some tricks to get this working, but no luck (sofar?)