GPS copy

Started by HansEverts, August 22, 2013, 07:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HansEverts

I made a template to copy GPS data and that works. However, it always copies the same source data from the same original image. what I would really want is a template that copies the GPS data from the first image in a selection into the appropriate fields of the other images, provided those fields are empty, and provided country and location are the same as the source file.
Can anybody help?
Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Quote from: HansEverts on August 22, 2013, 07:32:59 AM
what I would really want is a template that copies the GPS data from the first image in a selection into the appropriate fields of the other images, provided those fields are empty, and provided country and location are the same as the source file.

Metadata Templates do not work that way. A Metadata Template allows you to change collections, categories and metadata of one or multiple files.

What you want is a very specific copy logic for GPS data. This cannot even be archived by the standard Paste Attributes command (are you aware of this command?  <Ctrl>+<Shift>+<V>). To implement your specific logic you will need a write a small script.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cytochrome

I would try it with Exiftool along the general line exiftool -tagsfromfile source.xxx -GPS:all destination.yyy

Should work in the ECP

Francis

PS maybe with the -a to extract everything like exiftool -a -tagsfromfile source.xxx -GPS:all destination.yyy

Be aware, I did not try it and I am no Exiftool expert...

HansEverts

Thanks,
I think I was getting over ambitious. Whatever the tool, I am afraid no tool, except for my own eyes, can automatically know that an image without geocode is taken in the same area as a previously taken image with geocode. The time interval between the images could be a criteria, but would still require manual validation. I am afraid an automated solution would probably require so much manual corrections, that it would be easier to stick to copy/paste. But then, I am sure I am even less of an Exiftool expert than Cytochrome.

dcb

If the Maps function in IM5 isn't working for you, try GeoSetter. It's been part of my workflow for years.

Within it you can set the GPS point from a photo and then apply it back to many others in one it. Plus you can set favourite locations (home, school, work etc). Once you save the data, IM5 will pick it up.
Have you backed up your photos today?

Mario

I think you'll all find that the Map Panel and related functionality works again in build 108.
No replacement for GeoSetter and thanks to Google's policy changes still volatile. But it works pretty well for usual workflows.

QuotePlus you can set favourite locations (home, school, work etc).

This is implemented in IMatch as Locations, which you can use to assign coordinates and location data to files. Which you can use in Metadata Templates to automatically reverse-geocode images. And which you can use in Filters to find files and nearby files within a given center point and radius.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

dcb

Quote from: Mario on August 25, 2013, 08:55:17 AM
This is implemented in IMatch as Locations, which you can use to assign coordinates and location data to files. Which you can use in Metadata Templates to automatically reverse-geocode images. And which you can use in Filters to find files and nearby files within a given center point and radius.

Missed that little gem.
Have you backed up your photos today?