2017.6.2 Pack and Go Error

Started by kiwilink, June 02, 2017, 08:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiwilink

Mario:

I tried to run Pack and Go for the first time under 2017 and it fails with the message below.  I looked in the log file and I don't see anything that stands out (attached).  Is there a Pack and Go for 2017 that I need to use?  I ran diagnostics on the database and it ran fine.

Kiwilink

Running diagnosis on C:\Users\Mikey\Pictures\29DecNewFix\IMatch Database_29Dec.imd5.
Cannot open database for diagnosis.
Duration: 00:00:00

Error: Failed to open database 'C:\Users\Mikey\Pictures\29DecNewFix\IMatch Database_29Dec.imd5'

Mario

The Pack & Go log file contains useful information. You have only attached the IMatch log, which is not filled by Pack & Go.
See the Pack and Go UI for the log file (just click on the name to open) or press <F1> for help.

IMatch 2017 comes with Pack & Go 2017.
Pack & Go could not open the database. That's all I can tell from the message. The log file will have more info.
Was the database perhaps open in another application?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

I went to the Windows "START", Photools.com and looked for Pack and Go to find out what file it was executing and it was executing IMatch Pack and Go under the IMATCH 5 directory.  So, I went to the imatch6 directory and invoked the Pack and Go there and it is running so I was obviously running Pack and Go 5. 

Is there a reason that the install did not create a 2017 Pack and Go program that shows up under the start menu?  I have attached a screen capture for you to see what I see under the Start menu.

Thanks!

Mike

Mario

You have both IMatch 5 and IMatch 2017 installed. Pack & Go from IMatch 5 cannot open/check IMatch 2017 databases - the format is different. Always make sure that you run the Pack & Go that matches your database. In IMatch. start Pack & Go from the Database menu to be sure to use the correct version.

I think the real problem is that IMatch 2017 does not add a separate entry for Pack & Go into the START menu, just entries for IMatch itself, the help, the photools.community and the photools.com web site. I tried to reduce the clutter, assuming that users would usually start P & G automatically or via the Database menu. And Windows does not arrange the two application versions into separate folders in the Start menu but puts them all on the same level. Only a problem if you run two versions of IMatch side-by-side.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kiwilink

Mario:

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried to run Pack and Go from the dropdown box like I always did under the previous version by choosing "Database" and then "Pack and Go".  The dialog box comes up as always and says "IMATCH is running and needs to be closed".  So, I close Imatch but after IMATCH closes it does not automatically run "Pack and Go" like it used to.

Any suggestions?

Kiwilink

Mario

Just tried that here.

PC with 5.8 and Match 2017 installed. Windows 10.

IMatch 2017 > Pack & Go.
"IMatch needs to be closed" dialog pops up.
I close IMatch.
Pack & Go starts automatically.

Looks good to me.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kiwilink

Mario:

Thanks for checking.  I ran a repair on the IMATCH install file to see if that would fix it but no luck here.  I can always just run Pack and Go from the 2017 directory.  If someone runs into the same problem I'll check back and see whats up.

I'm really enjoying the new Map features!

Mike

Mario

Any W> or E> entries in the IMatch log file?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kiwilink

Hi Mario

I ran full logging and did not find any warnings or Errors.

I installed 2017 on my Windows 10 Laptop and got the same thing.  It would not start Pack and Go when I chose it from the drop down menu of IMATCH.

Can I uninstall and reinstall without doing any damage or losing anything?  I ran repair and nothing changed.  It could be related to the fact that I tried to run Pack and Go from the previous version when I first installed 2017.

Kiwilink

Mario

You can safely uninstall _after_ making a backup - just in case. It should work just fine, but Windows installer is not without bugs, and better safe than sorry.
Backup %APPDATA%\photools.com and %PROGRAMDATA%\photools.com.

Does Pack & Go not even start to write a log file? In that case IMatch either does not find the executable it is not allowed to run (virus checker?)

I doubt that is is related to running PG& 5. IMatch 2017 and 5 use separate configuration folders and registry keys. No mix-up possible.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kiwilink

I just uninstalled IMATCH 2017 and then reinstalled on the Laptop (Windows 10).  Then I opened IMATCH 2017 and went to the dropdown on the upper left hand side and chose Pack and Go, got the normal message to close IMATCH.  I closed it and then Pack and Go did not open automatically as usual.  I did find this entry in the log

W>      Spelling: Cannot find a dictionary for language 'en' or failed to load.  'IMatch.cpp(3087)'

I will now uninstall Imatch 5 and Imatch 6 and retry on the laptop.

Mike

kiwilink

Mario:

I figured it out.   When the dialogue box opened and says

"IMATCH is running and needs to be closed.  This dialog closes automatically when IMATCH has been closed and Pack & Go will continue."

I was clicking on the "x" to close the dialogue box and then I was closing IMATCH and waiting for Pack & Go and it didn't open.  When I just left the dialog box there and closed IMATCH Pack & Go opened right up.

There will probably be other users that close that dialog box also by habit.  If they do, Pack & Go won't open.

If they find this thread they won't do the stupid thing I just did!  Sorry Mario if I caused you some lost time.  You may want to put a warning not to close the dialog box nor hit cancel.

Kiwilink

Mario

The dialog  is actually produced by P&G when it is started while IMatch is running.
It displays the message and then waits until it is closed (no Pack & Go) or the IMatch process is terminated and it can continue.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator