How to use one Database on two (or more) computers?

Started by Menace, August 13, 2013, 08:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menace

Hi,

I already have two computer systems and I also managed my systems, that both  computers have the same directions / folder structures.  Unfortunately IMatch 5 are working to exactly and doesn't accept the new folders for the "same". Now I must always relocate the folders. Is there a possibility to use Parameters instead of physical exact folders?

For example "SyncBack" are working with serial (like IMatch), but also just foldernames oder labelname (like: %LABEL=Programme%\00 Anwendungen\).

Kind regards,

Menace

Mario

QuoteIs there a possibility to use Parameters instead of physical exact folders?

No. IMatch uses the unique media serial number to identify the media. Different computer => different disk.
If you have to physically maintain copies of your images on two computers you will need to relocate the database. If you put your images on a shared server / NAS, use UNC paths and you don't need to relocate.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Menace

Too bad. Unfortunately I can't use a NAS/Server, because there are 25 km between the computers.

Is it important, to identify it by serial numbers?

dcb

I've been sharing a database across two computers for years without problems. Here's how I do it with two USB drives.

1. Master copy on drive M:\iMatch
2. Secondary copy on drive D:\iMatch with same folder structure (very important)
3. Syncback copies from M:\ to D:\
4. Plug D:\ into second computer, use the disk management tools to assign it to drive M:\ (one time only)

At this point you have the second copy on drive M on the second computer. IMatch will think all files are offline because the media id is different. Use reallocate to point M:\iMatch to M:\iMatch.

Reverse to copy back to the Master.
Have you backed up your photos today?

Menace

Hello dcb,

thank you for your help. I did it in a similar way already:

Both Computer have: L:\my pictures\privat\
I use a USB-Drive to backup (with syncback) my data.

But because I have 4 databases, with more folders (for example: L:\my pictures\,      M:\Raws, ....), I don't want to relocate every time, when I change the computers, but it seems this little step I have to do.  :)

Gerd

Hi,

for such reasons there is in e.g. Lightroom a fuction, that I can export/import selected pictures as own library.

Would it be interesting also for other IM-users to have such a function in IM5?

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

Menace

Hi Gerd,

I don't want another Library (I also don't work with Lightroom), for me the database should always be the same. Sometimes I work with PC 1, some days with PC 2. I try to keep it as simple as possible (because finally I would just confuse myself).

Kind regards,

Menace

Gerd

Hi Menancee,

I will not bring you to LR ... it was only an idea, to bring an amount of pics with all attributes and changes made in a program from pc A to pc B.

Why do you not put all your pics and the IM-db on an external HD? Then take this HD from pc A to pc B ...

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

Richard

QuoteWhy do you not put all your pics and the IM-db on an external HD?

I will see Gerd's suggestion and add this thought. I have been looking at external SSG that connect via WiFi. IF the WiFi can cope with SSD speeds, it should make it darn easy to have one drive used by two or more computers.

Menace

This, with the work on the external, I already think about. But finally, there are to much databases (5) and to much files to really work with it.

Another point is: To have the files on 3 HDs (1. PC 1; 2. PC 2; 3. external HD) is a foolproof backup-System; at least I hope it.  ;D Even if House 1 would be destroyed (what hopefully never happened), I have another place with my Computer 2.

BTW: I have a lot of files: Work (with all type like doc, qxp, illustrator, ...): 150 GB, RAW 260 GB, JPGs 260 GB, Music 200 GB: 870 GB would be a little bit expansive for SSD. ;-)

I guess to relocate wouldn't be so negative. IMatch works very fine for me, so that I take this small disadvantage.

Kind regards,

Menace

Richard

Quote870 GB would be a little bit expansive for SSD. ;-)

Definitely. I am shooting for 128 GB SSD because that is plenty for my needs. I don't intend to use SSD for everything I have, just for what I am working on currently.

Menace

I love my SSD, but I just used it for my programs and windows.

jch2103

Quote from: Richard on August 14, 2013, 11:36:48 PM
I am shooting for 128 GB SSD because that is plenty for my needs. I don't intend to use SSD for everything I have, just for what I am working on currently.
Be sure to leave ~25% of the SSD free (either unfilled or via partitioning) to avoid performance issues (unless the drive handles this issue internally). (There's more on this issue at anandtech.com.)

I also use my SSD mostly for OS and programs.
John

Richard

QuoteI also use my SSD mostly for OS and programs.

That is my intent and mostly it will be things I work with daily, like the OS. Programs that I use infrequently can stay on my HDD.

Gerd

Hi,

the lifetime of a SSD is dependent of the writings. To keep a SSD as long alive as possible, the control-program tries to minimize writing to the same cells, so relative quick a fragmentation will occur and slows down the speed. If cells are dead, there are some % of spare-cells, that are activated then.

From some users I heard, that after intensive use of their SSDs, these become very slow after one year and there is no chance to speed them up. Normal lifetime today of a SSD is 1 to 3 years.

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

jch2103

For a technical explanation of the 'keep 25% of the SSD free' concept, see: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6489/playing-with-op
The last paragraph sums up the extensive testing.

A typical individual (even an IMatch power user!) is very unlikely to 'wear out' an SSD during the 3-5 year warranty of current SSDs, and probably even longer. (It's possible in 24/7 enterprise situations, although even there companies are switching from spinning disks to SSDs for some of their servers.)

But if you fill up an SSD, performance will suffer. Fortunately, capacities are getting bigger and prices continue to drop. I've been delighted with the (still speedy!) performance of my SSDs.
John