Traveling or Multiple Computer Use

Started by WzeroMN, June 05, 2017, 01:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WzeroMN

for help topic
mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program Files (x86)\photools.com\imatch6\imatch.chm::/html/en/travel.htm

This refers to using on 2 computers and keeping them in sync.

I think the travel process given is quite a lot of work and easy to forget something. How much and what is missed if I simply use pack and go and then restore on the other computer.

Must I use a user alias or will it work on both without doing that?
Hierro cnadente, batir de repente

Mario

QuoteHow much and what is missed if I simply use pack and go and then restore on the other computer.

I don't understand...
If you want to use IMatch on multiple computers, Pack & Go is the tool for this. It allows you to copy your settings, presets, one or more databases easily between computers.

QuoteMust I use a user alias or will it work on both without doing that?

IMatch stores many settings on a per-user basis, tied to the user name. If you use the same Windows user name on both computers, you don't need the Alias. The user name alias has been added for:

+ users who need to work with IMatch on multiple computers
+ who log in with different user names on these computers
+ who still want to use one set of per-user settings
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

WzeroMN

OK, I thought that was it but the long explanation in help of how to do it without Pack and Go made me uncertain that Pack and Go got everything. I understand the need for the alias. Thanks for clearing that up.  :)

WzeroMN

One more question about this.
1. I have the program on Laptop. I have no alias set.
2. I do a Pack and GO.
To transfer to the Desktop I know I need to use the Alias since it has a different Windows User name.

To use it on the desktop:
Should I set the alias on the desktop while the  restored database is closed,  after I open the database , or does it not matter. In other words, will setting the alias change the things it changes while the database is open or must it be done before opening the database that has been moved? Since iMatch automatically opens the last used database I would have to close it manually before assigning the alias if it must be done while the database is closed.

When I move the information back to the Laptop will it require me to use the alias function  again or will it be remember on the laptop even though I would have to restore the pack and go that was saved on the desktop so I could move it back to the laptop.

I guess it depends on where the alias information is stored. If it is in the database itself then I would obviously have to use it every time I move back and forth. If it is only on the currently used computer I would not. I do not know which is the truth although I think it is local to the individual computer, at least I hope so :-)

Mario

The Alias is a global setting. IMatch stores it in the settings database, per-machine / user. This does not depend on IMatch databases.

Just give it a try to see how it works.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

WzeroMN

Thank  you. It is as I hoped. I just do not know how you can respond so quickly and still work on the code and whatever else you have on your plate. It is as though you have a million people acting on your behalf simultaneously and it is appreciated. :) :) :)

Mario

Multiple personalities? Efficient workflow? Alien technology...  ;) ?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator