Integration with SmugMug (Voting for integration)

Started by nortan, August 23, 2013, 05:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use SmugMug?

Yes
4 (66.7%)
No
1 (16.7%)
I plan in the future
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

nortan

Hello.

Please integrate with photoclouds. It is be wonderful, if Imatch can upload an album to smugmug and update it.

THX.

UPD: Please, take a survey at the top of the topic

jch2103

I'm assuming you're looking for IMatch 5 to take advantage of the SmugMug API to allow direct uploads/integration. I agree this would be useful, although I imagine it's a 'later' priority for Mario at the moment.

In the meantime, you can drag and drop images from IMatch into the SmugMug HTML5 drag and drop uploader. Works great!
John

Mario

Quote from: nortan on August 23, 2013, 05:03:56 PM
Please integrate with photoclouds. It is be wonderful, if Imatch can upload an album to smugmug and update it.

Such integrations are of course possible. Either as an Import & Export module (even written as a script) or as an App.
The problem is that such integrations are complicated, cost a lot of time and knowledge of the specific API required for each service. Each service is different and has different interfaces - so each plug-in has to be written independently. Also, photo sites change their integration API's regularly and require all apps which use them to follow suit.

Furthermore, some services require payment if a commercial application like IMatch wants to use their API. Not all, but several. And these service fees are usually targeted at large companies who can afford them. Not poor Mario who spends his entire spare time (and then some) to produce IMatch.

That's why I invested so much time and money in inventing the fabulous IMatch 5 App technology. It allows everybody to implement interfaces to web services using proven HTML and JavaScript technologies. Usually you get samples en masse for how to access sites like smugmug or Flickr using JavaScript and these samples can be adapted to be used as an IMatch App.

I cannot do all this alone...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

There is useful script for IM3.6 which calls Flickr Uploader, enabling uploads of images, complete with Title, Caption and Keywords.  A similar script for IM5 should quite easily be produced by someone with the skill.

Ferdinand

I've never used that script, but my understanding (from AFX) is that it's broken.

While it might be fixable and could then be migrated, as Mario suggests for V5 it would be better someone to embed the Smugmug API in an app.

DigPeter

Quote from: Ferdinand on August 24, 2013, 04:09:07 PM
I've never used that script, but my understanding (from AFX) is that it's broken.

While it might be fixable and could then be migrated, as Mario suggests for V5 it would be better someone to embed the Smugmug API in an app.
The Flickr script is not broken.  I use it frequently.  I do not know about API and apps, but I was going to ask for a method of directly uploading images to Flickr, when more important things had been fixed.

Ferdinand

Sorry, my misunderstanding.  The headline for the thread says Smugmug and that's what I was replying to.  If the Flickr script is working then in theory it should be possible to migrate it with only a modest amount of effort.  That said, a new one developed as an app may well function better.

ericmuzy

For uploading to smugmug, I'm using a freeware called KOMODO DROP.
I added it to my favorite apps.
I select my pictures in IM5, and drag and drop them onto the KOMODO icon.
KOMODO does open and offers me the choice to add the pictures to an existing smugmug album, or create a new one, I can also allocate a smugmug category, a sub category (all of these are prepopulated dynamically from my smugmug configuration via web service), as well as all the typical formatting/privacy/... settings.
Then the pictures go into a queue, the upload to smugmug is happening behind the scenes, asynchronously, so I can go back immediately to IM5 and select my next set of pictures to be uploaded.
At any time, you see the % progress of the upload, and what remains into the queue.
When you close IM5, the uploads keep going until done.

That worked very well for me.

It does work with the legacy smugmug (download version 3)  and also with the new smugmug (download version 6)

Here is the link for those of you who are interested
http://komodo.rabien.com/

By the way, you can also download the source code, so you can modify it.

I hope this helps.

jch2103

Sounds quite promising - can't wait to give it a run.
Now I just have to remember to tag in IM all the files I upload to SmugMug!

Edit -
Hmm. Norton Internet Security flagged the download; it's not clear why. I need to look a bit deeper.
John

ericmuzy

I'm also using Norton, and you are correct, they flag the download.
It is based on a "reputation algorithm" they have on their own, and because there are not a lot of downloads for KOMODO DROP, Norton is considering it unsafe.
I turned my Firewall off for that specific download, then turned it back on.
I have been using this for months, and never had issues.

Also, if you use the new smugmug, with the new API, you have to download the version 6.
But if you still use the old smugmug, then it is version 4 that you have to download.

I agree with you about flagging pictures that have been uploaded: that's where the source code could be handy...

nortan

Do you have any updates about integration with SmugMug?

It is realy need for me  8)

Mario

Can't you just drag your files from IMatch to smugmug? Most photo web sites no support direct upload like this. And if your metadata has been written back by IMatch, smugmug should be able to extract it.

What more would be needed?

I know that there is a smugmug app for Lr, but this was developed and paid for by smugmug. Same for the Android and iOS apps. I doubt they will pay me  ;D
If there were enough IMatch users for this (may than,say,50) I would consider looking into this. But so far, demand seems real low.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

nortan

I need to sync for new files a lot of folders.

I have a lot of images and usualy modify photos in old albums.

At now I do the same work - find in Total Commaner modifyed files and dirs within "2 months", write them in notepad and upload manualy file-by-file.

Mario

You can easily find all files modified after a certain date or within a time range using the Filter Panel or by just clicking on the "Recently Modified" collection.
Sort by the modified date in addition perhaps.
This works for selected folder(s), entire disks or even your entire database.
No need to use an external tool for that.

In the end, this brings all files into the file window. From there you can drag them into the browser to upload them to smugmug?

If you need a list of file names, select all files with Ctrl+C, and then press Ctrl+C to copy the file names into the Windows clipboard.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

nortan

This procedure is no different from what I wrote. In any case, I do all the copying by hand. I select the 2 fileas and change gallery to one, copy, select another 4 files, change gallery to second, copy. And so on many times  :-\

It is unfortunate that there are not many SmugMug users among IMatch users. SmugMug use hundreds of thousands  :)

I'm understood, thank you. Perhaps in the future there will be people who will support me in this desire. 8)

PS: I'm the user of the 2017 version.

jch2103

I'm one of the other Smugmug users here. Currently, I use the drag and drop method to add photos to Smugmug. I have had to update existing Smugmug galleries from time to time, by hand (e.g., for old scanned images that I've rescanned, etc.). It would indeed be useful to be able to sync Smugmug gallery contents with my images in IMatch. If I were a decent programmer, I might tackle this myself, but it's currently beyond my time/resources.
John

Mario

Quote from: nortan on June 15, 2017, 06:45:10 PM
This procedure is no different from what I wrote. In any case, I do all the copying by hand. I select the 2 fileas and change gallery to one, copy, select another 4 files, change gallery to second, copy. And so on many times  :-\

It is unfortunate that there are not many SmugMug users among IMatch users. SmugMug use hundreds of thousands  :)

I'm understood, thank you. Perhaps in the future there will be people who will support me in this desire. 8)

PS: I'm the user of the 2017 version.

And there is Flickr, Instagram, FaceBook, Twitter and probably some other on-line photo galleries I don't know of...  ;)

Spending a few hundred thousand dollars to implement a Lr plug-in is a good business case for smugmug - because they will get more users in return which then pay them a few hundred dollars per year for their service.

Lets say I'm super-smart and fast and I can learn about the smugmug programming interfaces (which are different from all other services mentioned above) and implement a 1.0 version of the plug-in in 80-100 work hours. Plus documentation. Bug fixes. Support. Adaptions when smugmug changes their API etc. This sums up quickly.

How many IMatch users will use this? 2? 5? 50? Judging by the feedback in ths thread and similar previous threads, maybe a handful.
Will I get more users for IMatch by this? If so, how many? I don't know. I don't even know how many users will upgrade to IMatch 2017, afer I've spend 8 month working on it...

Taking these 100 hours and improving on IMWS, scripting, starting to add A.I. features for automatic tagging etc. is probably time better spent - because it adds features that are helpful for the majority of users.

The scripting and "app" system in IMatch 2017 makes it much easier to implement such solutions. And everybody can give this a spin.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

nortan

I understand you. I hope smugmug users will be noted here and there will be a lot of them. Otherwise, I agree, it's not effective.