A filter that compares date and filename

Started by Kucera, June 19, 2017, 02:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kucera

Hi,
for all you mavens, is it possible to display in the window only those pictures whose Exif date does NOT equal the respective filename? If so, how?
In case you wonder why, it would help me isolate the scans of old stuff, which now have too recent dates.
Thanks for any insight.

ubacher

Not sure how you store your files on disk. However here my first idea:
Create a sort profile which sorts on the date of your choice.
If you then display the files in sorted order it should show you the discrepancies.

PS: I mark my scans with a category: SourceOrPhotographer|SCAN

Mario

QuoteExif date does NOT equal the respective filename?
...it would help me isolate the scans of old stuff, which now have too recent dates.

?
Can you give us some more details to work with?
From your description I would assume that you somehow record the date and time of a file in the file name?
If your files have no EXIF data and no timestamps in XMP, IMatch will use the "last modified" timestamp as recorded by Windows.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Kucera

In the dark days before iMatch, I started to name all the pics (file name) by the date taken. Therefore I named many of my later scans with the date of the event, but of course EXIF kept the date when scanned - resulting in what the attachment shows.

So now I want to find all such files, to change the exif date, to be able to show them in the correct order in iMatch timeline.

Mario

Mhm...

One thing that would be worth a try would be to use a Metadata Template to set the XMP created/create date and time from the file name.
When you then write back the files, IMatch will update EXIF from XMP!
The file name format is almost correct, you only need to replace the - in the time with : to produce the format expected by ExifTool: YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS. This can be done using a clever variable that uses substring to extract the date part and time part separately, and a replace for the - in the time part.

You should of course do this only for the images with this specific problem.

For actually finding file names where the name does not match the EXIF timestamp formatted in the same way as the file name (!) I have no idea, sorry.

Sorting will be one idea (see ubachers comment above).

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Kucera

Quote from: Mario on June 19, 2017, 08:02:58 PM
One thing that would be worth a try would be to use a Metadata Template to set the XMP created/create date and time from the file name. ...
You should of course do this only for the images with this specific problem.
Yes, course, and then it still would not help where the filenames are 01,02,  or George08, etc. Not to mention that I am not well enough versed in all that is involved in such a process.
Quote from: Mario on June 19, 2017, 08:02:58 PM

Sorting will be one idea (see ubachers comment above).
This is basically what I am doing now.
I guess there is no substitute for grunt work even with the best of programs - of which iMatch definitely is one!  :)
Thank you both!

Mario

There is really no way to detect that the file name GeorgeDB does not match the EXIF date...  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Darius1968

If I were faced with the same problem, my approach would be to use the search command in IMatch (with regular expressions) to get the files of which the 1st 4 characters are actually numbers that correspond to a valid year!  I'd have to have somebody give me the right syntax for the task, but wouldn't this be what you want in isolating the images that you want to work with? 

P.S.
This approach, utilizing regular expression in the search bar would allow you to tailor the search, such that only a range of years would be considered.  This would let you exclusively see those scans you made "In the dark days before iMatch". 

Kucera

Quote from: Darius1968 on June 26, 2017, 06:38:41 AM
my approach would be to use the search command in IMatch (with regular expressions) to get the files of which the 1st 4 characters are actually numbers that correspond to a valid year!  I'd have to have somebody give me the right syntax for the task, but wouldn't this be what you want in isolating the images that you want to work with?
Thanks, that certainly would work, for a good number of those files, anyway. I'll give it a try.