Import Metadata into Attributes

Started by akirot, July 05, 2017, 03:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akirot

Just realized this has been dropped with IMatch2017 (see corresponding thread).
Bring it back please :-)

Background:
Metadata of my images is stored/written in German basically - especially the description.
Published images need English text.
Using "Import Metadata into Attributes" I copy the original description to Attributes. Then I add an additional record for the description in English.
The batchprocessor later copies the desired language to the description of the final image (besides some other actions). Doing this I keep all language variants.
Since XMP still doesn't provide real multilanguage support this is a straightforward approach and "Import Metadata into Attributes" is a real time saver.

Whilst I understand why and when it has been originally provided (IMatch3 to 5 migration) it is a simple yet powerful tool. (I also use it sometimes  for metadata cleanup together with metadata templates.)

JoeHolzwurm

I also was searching for this functionality in the export-modul and didn't find it anymore. It would be fine to get it back.

Mario

Quote from: JoeHolzwurm on August 06, 2017, 01:40:17 PM
I also was searching for this functionality in the export-modul and didn't find it anymore. It would be fine to get it back.
For what do you need this? Copying metadata basically duplicates existing data. The use for that is very rare.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JoeHolzwurm

Perhaps I don't realy need it but I do that since I use IMatch and this is a long time. I always used to copy the metadata into the atributes.

Mario

Quote from: JoeHolzwurm on August 06, 2017, 03:55:08 PM
Perhaps I don't realy need it but I do that since I use IMatch and this is a long time. I always used to copy the metadata into the atributes.
But what is this good for? The metadata is stored in the database (and a copy in the file). You can access metadata everywhere you can access Attributes so there is no real gain.
Attributes are meant to allow users to create their own 'database in database', e.g., for storing data that does not go into metadata, billing information, private data etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

QuoteBut what is this good for?
Akirot in the first post explained why he wants this and needs this:
Keeping an alternate language version of a metadata field!

Mario

Quote from: ubacher on August 07, 2017, 12:38:19 PM
QuoteBut what is this good for?
Akirot in the first post explained why he wants this and needs this:
Keeping an alternate language version of a metadata field!
Yes. This is a use case. But I don't think this is a very common requirement. For the OP it would be much easier to write a smapp app which copies the data he needs from MD to Attributes and back. A two button solution with a hard-coded list of tags. Quite easy to do.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

@akirot

Would it not be easier to manage your language resources in Attributes, and then use a Metadata Template to copy them into your files in the required language?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

akirot

That's what I finally do (if I don't use the batch processor which also does some downsizing, copyrighting etc.)

Only a subset of my images needs multilingual support. So initially all metadata are where they should be.
As soon as I need multiple languages I export (some of) the original metadata to attributes to save them. I add further languages to further attributes and finally the wanted/requested attributes (i.e. in the respective language variant) are copied to the metadata.

I also consider "export metadata to attributes" as a tool to cleanup metadata. One can export metadata, rearrange them and then reimport them (yes, using metadata templates). To me it's a fundamental tool like database import and export. You don't use it daily but it comes in handy when you need it.

(off topic: thank you for the new generic version detection - works great)