Is there a way to permanently DISABLE the Update Check message in IMatch 5.8.4?

Started by Ted, July 11, 2017, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Is there a way to permanently DISABLE the Update Check message in IMatch 5.8.4?  I have the Application -> Settings -> Check for updates set to No, but I still keep getting these annoying messages.

Thanks.
-----
Ted
Enjoying life one day at a time.

sinus

Quote from: Ted on July 11, 2017, 02:27:09 PM
Is there a way to permanently DISABLE the Update Check message in IMatch 5.8.4?  I have the Application -> Settings -> Check for updates set to No, but I still keep getting these annoying messages.

Thanks.

I believe, there is no way to turn this off. I rember vaguely, another user asked the same.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Nope, sorry.

IMatch checks by default once a week for updates (you can change that interval).
It checks for updates every 30 days unconditionally.
If an update is found, you'll see a notice. After downloading and installing the update, the message will go away.

The idea is to install the latest update so you get bug fixes, security updates and new features in a timely fashion.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ted

When the update is free I would agree with you, but when it's a new version that requires additional money, I consider that to be SPAM, and I'm surprised and disappointed that you have lowered yourself to that level.
-----
Ted

Mario

Sorry, when implementing this three years ago I did not anticipate that users would not be willing to upgrade.

Maybe if you use IMatch 5 for a while longer to get more 'mileage' out of your payment you will consider IMatch 2017 cheaper and worth the upgrade fee.
Support for IMatch 5.5 from me will cease end of November.

PS.: Over the past six weeks I've paid over 2000 US$ to renew some license for the software I need to create IMatch, this community and the photools.com web site. I have to pay this money (and more!) whether or not users upgrade...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Ted on July 11, 2017, 03:50:20 PM
When the update is free I would agree with you, but when it's a new version that requires additional money, I consider that to be SPAM, and I'm surprised and disappointed that you have lowered yourself to that level.

Ted, I see, that you do not like.
I can a bit feel with you.

But finally each software-product lives from money. And in my eyes Mario does this decent.
I have several software, what are each time I use, opens a big window what says, I should update.

If you don't like, you could move maybe the whole window a bit down to see not the message.

Additionally I believe, that the day will come, when we cannot use old software, maybe because windows does change or we must have more things, what only the new version offers or whatever.

And finally, if I compare the low prize of IMatch, and think at the great support and the great community here, then I must say, this should be worth the money to update.
I have several software-packages in use and tried to ask only a question: usually (with some exceptions) I get even not an answer.

And IMatch and Mario offers really a very good support.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Carlo Didier

I agree with Ted that the permanent reminder in IM5 is nagging. I have removed other programs (less important ones) for such a behaviour.
Reminding of updates for IM5 in IM5 is perfectly ok. Reminding updates for IM2017 in IM2017 is perfectly ok too.
But nagging us with that colorful text in IM5 to upgrade (not update!) is not nice. Especially as I already have bought (and installed) IM2017, although I won't use it productively before long.

Mario

As I said, I dit not did not anticipate this three years ago. And I did not anticipate that I have to design an IMatch upgrade that can run side-by-side with an older version. This did not only cause a lot of work and initial problems on my side but also the behavior that the old 5.5 reminds you of an update when you already have updated. As soon as you uninstall IMatch 5.5 everything will work as designed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ted

I understand your need for money, but obviously that can not be my number 1 concern.  I've been using IMatch for well over 10 years and have found it very useful.  However, in the last few years I have noticed a decline in the reliability and stability of IMatch, as additional functions have been added.  I have periodically submitted debug logs, etc in an effort to get these fixed, and some of them have been, but there are still many that remain because you can not reproduce them.

So, when the 2017 product was released, I downloaded it, installed it and created a new database hoping that it would all be better and so I could upgrade.  I found no real improvements in stability or speed.  Therefore I have reached the decision to stop using IMatch and find other ways of organizing my photos.

Mario, I wish you success in whatever you do.
-----
Ted

Mario

That's your decision. I deliver IMatch as a perpetual license, it will not stop working when you don't buy an upgrade.
Support from me for IMatch 5.5 will stop in November. And you will not receive any bug fixes or security updates for your old version.

The current 2017 is the most robust and fast IMatch version ever. The enhancements I did on the category system alone are well worth the upgrade.

Quotestill many that remain because you can not reproduce them.

Such as? I think the bug report board is quite empty for a software like IMatch with so many functions and users.
Please keep in mind that a problem that happens only for one user and on one computer is very hard to fix. Or may not even be worth the time to fix.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator