Jpg comment in metadata panel

Started by kkae, July 07, 2017, 09:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkae

Are there a possiblility to show/set a jpg comment in the metadata panel ?

Mario

You can configure the Metadata Panel to show any of the over 13,000 metadata tags IMatch supports.
Either add the tag to one of the existing Metadata Panel layouts, or create your own layout with all the tags you want to see.
Search for layout in the IMatch help system index and then click on Metadata Panel in the results to find the corresponding help topic.

Tip: You can view/edit all metadata IMatch has imported from your files by switching to the Browser layout in the Metadata Panel.

Note: As per Metadata Working Group rules and recommendations, the JPEG comment (if you mean the EXIF ImageDescription by that) is automatically synchronized between XMP description and IPTC Caption. If you change the Description tag shown by IMatch, ExifTool will update both the IPTC Caption and EXIF UserComment during Write-back.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kkae

I don't mean the EXIF ImageDescription.
An jpg without any metadata (EXIF, XMP, ...) can have an comment.
It can be written with exiftool with the -comment option
See screenshot of exiftool.

Mario

Yes. And you can show that in the Metadata Panel. Just add the corresponding tag to your layout.
Note that this comment is a really low-end solution and usually not a good idea to use.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kkae

You wrote "Just add the corresponding tag to your layout."

That's the problem. What is the corresponding tag. I've not found it in the tag selector.

Mario

1. IMatch does not by default all tags from files. See the Tag Manager help for details.
Can you see the data when you switch the Metadata Panel into the Browser mode? This shows you all tag data that was imported.
If the data is not there, go to Edit > Preferences > Metadata 2 and click on the Tag Manager button. Find the tag and enable it. Then re-import the metadata of affected files by selecting them and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F5.

I recall dimly that the name of the corresponding tag is hard to find and I don't know it, sorry.
If you cannot find the tag, select one of your files in the file window and open the ExifTool Command Processor.
Use the "List Metadata" preset and see if you can find the data and tag name in the output.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

kkae

I think i have found the tag (JPEG::Main\COM\Comment\0).
But when I put in the metadata-panel a value and write it back, after reading the metadata the field is empty.
Also if a update a file with a jpg-comment the field in the metadata-panel is empty.

In the logfile i see a warning
ETWARN:Warning: Tag 'JPEG:Comment' is not defined

I would say, if you have much time look at this ..., it's for me not an important feature.

Mario

As I said, this tag is a thing from the past and should not be used. I don't even know if ExifTool can update this tag. Or if one of the real metadata tags in the IPTC, EXIF or XMP metadata are synchronized with this tag. This tag was only ever used by low-end software which did not even support EXIF or IPTC.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jch2103

I also dimly remember issues with JPG Comment (as Mario suggested, these entries came from very old software). I went through a cleanup process to get the contents of this tag into more common tags, then avoided using JPG Comments thereafter. That's most likely still a prudent course of action.
John

kkae

Yes I know that it is a very old thing, but it is part of the jpg specification.

Exiftool can update the comment with the  -comment option.
I use this sometimes with ShellExecute() command executing Exiftool.