Problems with imatch5.pts

Started by JoeHolzwurm, August 03, 2017, 07:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeHolzwurm

Hello,

I work with the latest IMatch version and I worked with IMatch yesterday evening. Today I no longer can start IMatch and I get the message that the temporary imatch5.pts file cannot be written. If I rename the imatch5.pts to make it invisible for IMatch I can start it and I get a logfile.
What can I do to get my original imatch5.pts work again?

Thanks for help,
JoeHolzwurm

Mario

I assume IMatch tells you that the IMatch.pts is damaged?
When this happens there will already be a log file in your TEMP folder. This should tell us what the problem is.

Probably something has damaged the file.  The settings database uses the same database technology as IMatch so damaged PTS files are really rare.
IMatch keeps the last known good PTS file in imatch6.pts.bak. But since you have performed your trick with renaming the original PTS file, this copy now holds a copy of your empty (freshly created) PTS file and is no longer of use.

Just restorer your backup of the imatch6.pts from the day before and you are back in business.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JoeHolzwurm

I already tried the bak-file before I wrote the first post here and I got the same message.
Now I tried my last Backup of the pst-file which is something older and I again got the same message.

When I installed IMatch 6 I used the IMatch 5 database, if I remember correctly. This is why my IMatch still works with the imatch5.pts.

Is there any chance to repair the file?

Mario

The name of the used PTS file is displayed in Edit  > Preferences > Application.

I don't know the error message issued by the database (no log file!) but if the database system logs a a "physically damaged" error, the PTS file is damaged beyond repair.
Just restore the last daily backup of the PTS file in that case.

If you have no backups...well.

To avoid starting from scratch and re-doing all settings you can copy the imatch5.pts file from the  \imatch5\. folder hierarchy into the \imatch6\ hierarchy and rename it to imatch.pts. Make sure that the correct PTS file is selected under Edit > Preferences > Application.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JoeHolzwurm

I made a copy of my files before I tried testing with renaming the file.
I also attache the log file which also exists.

I also have a backup which is 2 months old. What does the impag file contain? Only the database or also the pts file?

I am working with IMatch 6 but work on the IMatch 5 hierarchy, if I remember correctly. There is no IMatch 6 hierarchy beside the IMatch 5 hierarchy.

This morning I tried to start IMatch with the empty pts file but IMatch is hanging while loading information about the directories.

What do you recommend to do now?

sinus

Joe,
I have really no clue, and I guess, only Mario can know more.

But the error in your log

08.03 19:03:51+   15 [4110] 00  E>  Error opening the imatch.pts in writable mode. Check security for this file in Windows Explorer.  'IMatch.cpp(1319)'

would mean to me, that the pts is there, but IMatch cannot write and gives even a typ, to check the security.

Did you check, if the file is really writable and is not protected somehow (preferences of the file, virus-checker ...)?

I hope, you can get this all solved. Sometimes one single "," or a missing "-" or a not checked checkbox and I could throw the whole computer out of the window.  8)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

JoeHolzwurm

Thanks for your help.
I already had a look at the preferences of this file but this seems to be ok. And I also had a look at virus checker and found nothing.
I worked with IMatch on Wednesday evening and closed IMatch normally. On Thursday I could not open it anymore. This is very strange...

sinus

Quote from: JoeHolzwurm on August 04, 2017, 08:39:46 AM
Thanks for your help.
I already had a look at the preferences of this file but this seems to be ok. And I also had a look at virus checker and found nothing.
I worked with IMatch on Wednesday evening and closed IMatch normally. On Thursday I could not open it anymore. This is very strange...

Sorry for you, indeed very strange.

Hm, I guess, important is, nothing to destroy or delete.

Hm, I do not know, but I can sligthly remember, it you delete this file (not really, for example move away), and if you then open IM, I believe (not sure), that IM does create such a file new.

If this is so, you could try after this replace the files again.

or .... VERY dangerous ...
sorry, in German: dann den Inhalt von der "defekten" pts - file copieren (öffnen mit einem Texteditor and select all and Ctrl C) in das neue pts - file kopieren und dann das neue file speichern.
Wenn IM vorher mti dem neuen pts geöffnet war, akzeptiert er vielleicht dieses file auch mit dem alten Inhalt.

Sorry, mehr weiss ich nicht, please do consider my tips here as simply "Gedanken", not sure, if this make sense and not sure, if this could work.
Markus

Mario

The database system logs a panic message:

Physical database damage: 'database disk image is malformed'

This means that the database file has been damaged on disk. Usually this happens during a power failure or a hard Windows shut-down when Windows is unable to flush pending data from memory to the physical disk.

This database is damaged beyond repair.
Restore from last backup.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JoeHolzwurm

I restored the 2 month old database and started IMatch 2017.
I got the message that the database is from an old version and that it has to be changed for the current version. I allowed that and now IMatch is hanging again with the text "Initializing...".
I will wait but I loose hope.

I slowly get panic. It would be very hard if I would loose everything. The database contains the work of a lot of years.

JoeHolzwurm

I restarted IMatch, got the same message and allowed to start the conversion of the database but nothing happens. The software is again hanging during initializing.

I can copy the backup file onto any server and I could allow a connection to my computer by Teamviewer (or something similar) if someone can help me to solve this disaster.

Mees Dekker

I can give it a try.

Please read my privat message to you.

Mario

So far we were talking about your defective IMatch.pts settings database.
Did you restore it from a backup or created a new one?

QuoteI restored the 2 month old database and started IMatch 2017.

Now you are suddenly talking about your real IMatch database?
Why did you haver to restore it from backup? Your IMatch database is independent from the settings database.
Are we confusing matters.

The conversion required to upgrade an IMatch 5 database to the IMatch 2017 format is less than two seconds usually. IMatch 2017 just creates a few new database tables.
If this process does not complete, something is wrong.

Please attach the log file IMatch creates. Else where just guessing.

Note: If you have problems with the settings database and also your real database, and both files are corrupted, this sounds to me like your hard disk is making trouble?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JoeHolzwurm

Perhaps I misunderstood your last post (english is not my favorite language). I thought that you speak about my real database. This is why I tried to restore my 2 month old backup (impag file) but IMatch does not want to convert it for IMatch 2017.

My hard disk seems not to by damaged but I will make a test.

I still have all files and hope to get my database working again.

At the moment

JoeHolzwurm

The hard disk is Ok, no error found.

Mario

The settings database (imatch.pts) uses the same database technology as IMatch itself. Hence probably the confusion.

Your settings database (imatch.pts) is damaged beyond repair and you need to restore it.
IMatch will then start again without problems.
If you have no backup of the imatch.pts, delete the damaged imatch.pts and IMatch creates a new settings database with factory defaults.
In that case you'll need to check all your settings etc.

I assume you already used iMatch 2017 and so your database was converted successfully (not the one you've restored from backup) but the one you used before.
In that case, just forget about the restored database and switch back to your real database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JoeHolzwurm

I now tried without success:
- newest real database without pts file
- newest real database with old pts file
IMatch is always hanging while loading the database.
Lade Informationen über zu bearbeitende Verzeichnisse...
Potabilitätsoptionen werden angewendet und 'Automatisches Umziehen' wird durchgeführt...

Is it possible that another file is the problem? A file somewhere in the Users-directory jungle?

Mario

Show me the log file. This should tell us what IMatch is doing.

I'm still confused about what actually happened. Why should IMatch suddenly no longer load your database? I think the problem was that suddenly your imatch.pts was damaged. Over night...maybe the database was also damaged by whatever happened?

The log file will tell us more.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JoeHolzwurm

Here is the last log file.

Mario

The first error message is that IMatch cannot find a Category ("Hochformat") in the database.

Then the database system reports

Physical database damage: 'database disk image is malformed'

This means that this database file is also damaged. Are you sure you did not have a power failure / Windows crash / disk problem (even temporary).
Two IMatch databases suddenly becoming defective on the same system is so unlikely, there is not even a percentage for that.

Do you run database diagnosis regularly? Because if you don't, an error in a rarely used section of the database file can remain undetected for a long time...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JoeHolzwurm

Yes, I sometimes use the database diagnosis.
I cannot remember any problem with the computer nor Software nor Windows on Wednesday evening, when I used IMatch the last time.

What can I try now?
I have the database from 02.08.17 and the backup from 13.06.17. With both IMatch is not starting.
The database from 02.08.17 may be damaged, ok. But I don't understand that even the backup from 13.06.17 produces problems. This is why I asked if another file could be the problem. A file which is not in the same directory than the database.

Mees Dekker

Joachim

see you normal mail and privat message. I think I fixed it for you.

Mees

sinus

Quote from: Mees Dekker on August 04, 2017, 05:39:41 PM
Joachim

see you normal mail and privat message. I think I fixed it for you.

Mees

If so, then please shed some light on this miracle!  :D
Markus

JoeHolzwurm

I now restored the bachup-package from Mees but IMatch still does not start.
The problem must be something else...

Mees Dekker

Alas.

For what it is worth: I would try following.

Un-install Imatch completely.
Reboot your system.
Download a new version (64 bit) from Photools.
Install from this newly downloaded version.
Put back the backup-package I send you
Start IMatch.

JoeHolzwurm

So this morning I again checked the hard disk and it is ok.
I uninstalled the software, restarted the computer and installed the latest 64bit version of IMatch.
I again restored the backup package from Mees but the software still does not load the database. The logfile says that the data base is damaged.
But why can Mees load the database and not I?

Mario

Quote from: JoeHolzwurm on August 05, 2017, 12:26:51 PM
But why can Mees load the database and not I?

Good question.

If Mees can run a successful diagnosis on your database on his system and no errors are logged (!), the database is OK. In that case something on your system seems to corrupt the database file or something...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JoeHolzwurm

Mees told me that he ran a database diagnose: no faults or any other problem were reported.
I will go on checking my system.

By the way: At the end of the restore process your software automatically makes a diagnosis of the database and there I also get no error message.

JoeHolzwurm

I again started IMatch and just kept waiting for a longer time and when the system told me that IMatch no longer reacts I told the system to wait for response of the software. Suddenly IMatch started. Everything looks fine but I get a message that the database is damaged.

Then I restored the database from June and this suddenly worked without problems and the first diagnosis found some errors. After the second diagnosis no error was found anymore.
I don't understand why this suddenly is working but I am happy to have my database working.

Thank you very, very much to all who tried to help me.

Mario

Run another diagnosis and a full optimize on the database. Then a diagnosis again.
Then check the log file for errors (lines containing E>). If no errors are reported, the database is OK and you should do a backup immediately.

And you should do daily backups of your IMatch database, the IMatch settings database and all other valuable data on your system. And keep these backups for a couple of weeks at least.

The behavior of your system is 'fuzzy' and that's not good.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JoeHolzwurm