IMatch freezes during start up at 'loading pending folder data'

Started by JasCarter, August 16, 2017, 10:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasCarter

Hi - I'm having a problem starting IMatch on my laptop. During the 'Running portability options and auto-relocate' step, it freezes at the message 'loading pending folder data'.

I have recently created a database on my desktop, based on folders that do not exist on the laptop, but this is not the last database I used on the desktop, so it is not the database that IMatch is trying to open. Following advice for other freezing reports, I tried starting IMatch while pressing Ctrl and launching it without opening a database. The program started, but when I tried to open the database I want (all of whose folders exist on the laptop), the same thing happened. I attach the two log files that seem to have been produced during debug logging.

Thank you for any suggestions.
--
James Carter

Mario

The portability feature appears to complete without problems. It just reports "G:\Pictures\ not found in database.".
The log file looks perfectly normal.

It starts at 21:00:32 and ends at 21:01:56. At this time IMatch is loading and validating Favorites from the database.

-  Did you see the IMatch UI at this time?
- How long did you wait before you decided that IMatch is not loading the DB correctly?
- Are you using Favorites? If so, which kind of Favorites?
- When you look at Windows Task Manager when this happens, is IMatch busy? Does the imatch6.exe process consume CPU and/or file system resources?

Since the last thing IMatch is validating/loading Favorites, maybe there is a problem...
I don't recall a similar case, but who knows.

Maybe do this (if you use Favorites):

- On the original computer, make a copy of the database in Windows Explorer.
- Open the copy in IMatch and delete all Favorites.
- Then copy this DB to the other computer and try to open it.

Tip: While diagnosing this, switch IMatch to debug logging via Help menu > Support. This creates a more detailed log file, which may be helpful.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JasCarter

Hi Mario - I'm sorry its taken me a while to respond: I had to be away unexpectedly from my main computer last week.

The problem now seems to be fixed, but I'm not sure what was causing it. I am puzzled by the log file report "G:\Pictures\ not found in database.": this is the main folder in the desktop (master) database, and neither drive letter nor folder have been changed since I set up auto-relocate. Anyway, I tried making a copy of the database with no Favorites, as you suggested (I only had a few Application Favorites but I deleted them as well as the History Favorites). I also updated the version of IMatch on the laptop (it was one update behind the desktop).

The laptop opened the copy database without a problem. It has also opened the original database, so perhaps there was some glitch in the way the two program versions were running.

Thank you for your exemplary support, as always.
--
James Carter