IMatch 5 is gone ...

Started by sinus, August 29, 2017, 11:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

and IMatch 2017 is here!  :D

I have IMatch 2017 for roughly 1 month in (test)-use.
Because I missed some scripts, I could not jump over to 2017 soon, hence I worked still with IM 5.8 with some scripts.

Now I have the most important scripts converted and all works fine.
I had also to change slightly my workflow, but all works.

Just now I uninstalled IMatch 5  :-[ 8)

So this means: up with IMatch 2017 ... I hope, it will give me the same or more power then the "old" IMatch 5 ... and IMatch 3 (hm, was there not also IMatch 2.1 or so?)

Thanks for supporting me with my scripts, specially Mario, Thorsten and Andy ... and John with a good kharma over the ocean  :D and others!

And yep, thanks, Mario, for all your work.

PS: some questions (specialy scripting, I guess) and feature request will come, I think  8)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

JohnZeman

Welcome aboard Marcus!

I did the exact same thing as you only I made the jump to 2017 about 6 weeks ago.  When Mario released 2017 at first I wasn't going to upgrade to it at all because I was depending so much on my scripts in version 5.  But I kept watching and following this forum, wanting to support Mario and the IMatch development, but I was so hesitant to do so because of my old so valuable to me at the time scripts.

Then 2 things happened.

Andy (Jingo) released his version of my old ultimate description writer script, which had been one of my most used version 5 scripts, and Mario began working on a 64 bit version of IMatch.

Those two things were enough to get me to upgrade to 2017 and am I ever glad now that I did.

Yes, my scripts from version 5 are long gone now.  But I've managed to write new apps (most of them really simple to make apps) that do most of what my old scripts were doing.  And more importantly I've discovered new and better ways to do things in 2017.

And as a side bonus I'm really liking using Visual Studio Code to edit my apps.  I saw in another thread where you were using Notepad++, as was I, but I'm here to tell you that Visual Studio Code is far superior to Notepad++ in every way.  At first it may not seem that powerful to you but once you start learning its secrets and get the right extensions (plugins) installed, you can really do a lot with that editor.

So welcome to 2017 Marcus, I'll bet it won't be long and you'll be really glad you made the upgrade. :)

Mario

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

IMatch 2017 is better in every way, especially when you can use the 64-bit edition.

The scripting system in IMatch 2017 is far superior than BASIC. Yes, users will have to rewrite their scripts. Yes, users who want to write apps will have to learn a bit about JavaScript and HTML. But we get so much in return. Much better UI features. Better tools. Much better performance. Remote access to IMatch databases from apps (using IMatch Anywhere). And more.

Visual Studio Code is one of the best products ever created by Microsoft. And Open Source. And free! And cross-platform. Written in JavaScript!
Tons of super-helpful plug-ins. I use it now exclusively for JavaScript and HTML, Python and PHP.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: JohnZeman on August 30, 2017, 01:51:00 AM
Welcome aboard Marcus!

I did the exact same thing as you only I made the jump to 2017 about 6 weeks ago.  When Mario released 2017 at first I wasn't going to upgrade to it at all because I was depending so much on my scripts in version 5.  But I kept watching and following this forum, wanting to support Mario and the IMatch development, but I was so hesitant to do so because of my old so valuable to me at the time scripts.

Hi John
Yes, also this is exact like me.

Then 2 things happened.
Andy (Jingo) released his version of my old ultimate description writer script, which had been one of my most used version 5 scripts, and Mario began working on a 64 bit version of IMatch.

Yep, right, Andy did and does a very good job and his effort for helping others with scripts is very hepful and social.
I think, Thorsten jumped then also in and specialy his help to me was in my case the point for me to change.

Although one script I could not manage to convert, and to be honest, that is a bit sad. I have written about this in another thread https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=6885.0 but finally I do this now with D&P.
This has advantages, really, but also disadvantages. D&P is really really great and cool. But having a script, what I had, was also cool:
Select some images and the script did automatically all the export: open Word, putted images there with different metata-fields, bold, color or whatever, stored the whole thing with a special name (depending on the first selected file) and that was it.

This was quite good, specially, because in a Word-doc you can still change after this some stuff. Quickly add a personal sentence, add a smiley or whatever.
D&P stores "only" as pdf or jpg. Of course we can convert a pdf to a word ... but it has always differences and it is akward.
IF D&P would store directly in a word-doc (well, I guess, word-docs are worldwide very distributed), it would be even more cool.  ;D
But I like D&P really.
And ... maybe I will script such an "word-export-tool" myself ... hm, say, in one or two years.  ;D

Yes, my scripts from version 5 are long gone now.  But I've managed to write new apps (most of them really simple to make apps) that do most of what my old scripts were doing.  And more importantly I've discovered new and better ways to do things in 2017.

And as a side bonus I'm really liking using Visual Studio Code to edit my apps.  I saw in another thread where you were using Notepad++, as was I, but I'm here to tell you that Visual Studio Code is far superior to Notepad++ in every way.  At first it may not seem that powerful to you but once you start learning its secrets and get the right extensions (plugins) installed, you can really do a lot with that editor.

So welcome to 2017 Marcus, I'll bet it won't be long and you'll be really glad you made the upgrade. :)

John, although you have written sometimes about "your old age", you are damn young for scripting. You have lerned JS in a very short time (ok... I know, there is still more to lern). Congratulations for this, impressive.
Also Mario has prised several times Visual Studio, hence I will also change from Notepad++ to it, thanks for this remark!

Finally, yes, IM2017 is very good, faster and has cool stuff and apps.
And ok, Basic is gone, but I have lerned, JS is a very modern language and we can do a lot with it and the best: also other programs works with JS, so I would say, Mario and IMatch has leaded me to a more modern world, digitally.  :D

Markus

Ger

Welcome to IMatch 2017!

I have managed to convert my most important scripts and are in final testing now. Full migration to IM2017 on its way.
It's actually a good thing to be pushed to discover some new grounds with Javascripting. Lots of frustration but even more euphoria when you get it working.

Ger

sinus

Quote from: Ger on August 30, 2017, 09:33:20 AM
Welcome to IMatch 2017!

I have managed to convert my most important scripts and are in final testing now. Full migration to IM2017 on its way.
It's actually a good thing to be pushed to discover some new grounds with Javascripting. Lots of frustration but even more euphoria when you get it working.

Ger

Thanks, Ger,

I have seen, you are also one of these guys, who are lerning very quickly.  :D
Nice hearing, that you are also on the new track.
Markus

Jingo

Welcome aboard.. and thx for the kind words everyone... always happy to help others!!

Carlo Didier

Lucky you, Markus!

I'm lightyears away from switching to IM2017. As yet, it would take way too much time (which I prefer to spend on other things!) to learn the programming part from scratch and convert my essential scripts, especially as some functions I need are still not implemented in IM2017 and may never be. And I don't want to change 70% of my workflow because of this (loosing more time).
Right now, iMatch 5 works great for me and I have no need (nor do I see any need in the future) for all that new stuff that came with IM2017.

Don't take me wrong! All these new things may be great by themselves and Mario does a really fantastic job here, but it's just not compatible with me  8)

sinus

Thanks, Carlo

I see. And I understand you, because I thought the same like you now.

To be honest, I had different scripts for IM5, what are cool for me.

Specialy two script I ought to have.
Then a nice user (Thorsten) did really help me and made bascically this script with JS https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=6871.0

Without the help of him I could not have done it and I would still be with IM5.
The second script, what I used a lot, I could not adapt https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=6885.0 hence I had in this case to change my workflow and at the end I found one (with D&P).

All other scripts I could manage somehow with IM2017, and some scripts I do not more use, because the effort to code them again is too big.

Finally I do not regret the step to IM2017, but it was quite a big of thinking, asking (the forum) and change my workflow (well, not that big differences).

I hope, you can as long work successfully with IM5 as you uses it, and IF you once change to IM2017, I hope, it will go smooth.

OT: like in the the other trhead DNG or RAWs, we have a lot to decide and sometimes there is not the best choice, becasue several ways will arrive Rome.  ;D
Markus

Carlo Didier

Stimmt Markus, alle Wege führen nach Rom, nur sind einige steiniger und länger als andere  :)
Im Moment zieht es mich aber gar nicht nach Rom weil ich keinen Nutzen für mich darin sehe.

Mario

End of Lifetime Notice

Support for IMatch 5.5 by me ends end of November 2017.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Carlo Didier on October 03, 2017, 02:24:49 PM
Stimmt Markus, alle Wege führen nach Rom, nur sind einige steiniger und länger als andere  :)
Im Moment zieht es mich aber gar nicht nach Rom weil ich keinen Nutzen für mich darin sehe.

Hey Carlo, but Rome is quite nice to see!  ;D

Like Paris, London or ... Luxemburg.  8)
Markus

DigPeter

Quote from: sinus on October 03, 2017, 03:50:36 PM
Quote from: Carlo Didier on October 03, 2017, 02:24:49 PM

Hey Carlo, but Rome is quite nice to see!  ;D

Like Paris, London or ... Luxemburg.  8)

I also like Bern, Markus.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: sinus on October 03, 2017, 03:50:36 PMHey Carlo, but Rome is quite nice to see!  ;D

I know, and Rome is in my planning for next year as part of a 4 week trip around Italy  8)

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on October 03, 2017, 02:48:30 PM
End of Lifetime Notice

Support for IMatch 5.5 by me ends end of November 2017.

I know, Mario. That's no problem for me. There's nothing in it that isn't working for me or hinders my workflow or makes me lose time. It just works. You build it too well  ;)

Mario

QuoteThere's nothing in it that isn't working for me or hinders my workflow or makes me lose time. It just works. You build it too well  ;)

This is precisely why many software vendors now switch to subscription-based license models. If you don't pay anymore, software stops working.
I can fully understand that.

I work for 12 to 18 months on a new release, shipping updates all the time. Then I can only hope that IMatch and my work and my support is important enough for users to upgrade.

I have to cover the bills whether or not users upgrade and bring some money in.
Please understand that End of Lifetime means precisely that. No more support, not even fixes for critical bugs or security problems.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on October 03, 2017, 08:57:04 PM
QuoteThere's nothing in it that isn't working for me or hinders my workflow or makes me lose time. It just works. You build it too well  ;)

This is precisely why many software vendors now switch to subscription-based license models. If you don't pay anymore, software stops working.
I can fully understand that.

I work for 12 to 18 months on a new release, shipping updates all the time. Then I can only hope that IMatch and my work and my support is important enough for users to upgrade.

I have to cover the bills whether or not users upgrade and bring some money in.
Please understand that End of Lifetime means precisely that. No more support, not even fixes for critical bugs or security problems.

And I fully understand and support you. You know I bought IM 2017, even though I won't be using it productively anytime soon.