KMZ Export is Back!

Started by Mario, September 02, 2017, 12:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Hi, users

after enhancing IMatch (and IMatch Anywhere WebServices™) for the next release, IMatch now can again create KML/KMZ files.
The corresponding export module in IMatch 5 was written in BASIC, and did not make it into the initial set of export modules available in IMatch 2017.

I have added the KML export feature to the Map Panel, where it fits nicely along the GPX import features.
The generated KMZ files (zipped KML) are compatible with Google Earth (both the Chrome and the standalone version) and also other tools I've tried.

If you work with Google Maps or Earth, it's now super-easy to export file GPS coordinates from IMatch. Since I've added full support for variables, you can control easily if you want to see the file name, title, description or even a combination of multiple metadata tags, Attributes and IMatch data in the output.

This is how the KML Export looks in the Map Panel:

and this is how an exported KMZ file looks in Google Earth (Chrome version):

and this how the popups created from the exported image description and title look in Google Earth:

The desktop version of Google Earth can display the thumbnails included in the KMZ. The version running in Chrome cannot, because of security.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Looks very cool!  :D
And even with variables, impressive!
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

@Developers

Every app author can use this. All the work is done by a single endpoint: v1/utility/createkmlfile.

The KMZ Export feature includes some neat things and tricks to study for app developers.
How to modularize code in an easy way. Translations. Loading and storing per-user data. Overlay. Dynamic forms.

I lean new things about JavaScript every day, and I refactor (fancy word for rip out and replace with something better) even existing scripts to make them work better.

I still don't use ES6 features (which is the most modern JavaScript) because while this would work in Chrome and modern browsers, it may not for older browsers and smart phones (for users using IMWS from such devices). And I don't want to confuse users who want to write apps and for that purpose study existing apps  and then need to learn about tools like Typescript, Babel or WebPack just to see how the source JavaScript is transformed to something that runs in an App Panel...

For "my apps" (IMatch WebViewer, for example) I use such tools. But that's a different thing.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook