Problem with restoring database files from laptop to desktop

Started by Mserjeantson, September 08, 2017, 10:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mserjeantson

I have been away and have had iMatch 3017.7.6 (32-bit) running on my laptop. I have returned home & transferred the backup file to my desktop, which is running the same version of iMatch. When I  tried to restore the database to the desktop, I received a whole series of error messages. Out of 404 packets, 289 were skipped. Each skipped file had the error message "Failed to create/replace file ...... "

I have performed this process many times in the past without any problem. The laptop, however, is new. I transferred the index data onto it from the desktop when I first set it up but this is the first time I have transferred the data from the laptop to the desktop.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Meyricke

Mario

It would be helpful if you attach the (zipped) log files.
If Pack & Go cannot restore files to their original location, the most likely problem is a file system privilege issue - Windows does not allow Pack & Go to restore the files in the original folder.

Have you tried to restore your package to a separate folder? If this works, you know that the package is OK and that this is a file system permission issue.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mserjeantson

It obviously is a file permission problem as I can restore to a new location without problem. I have also discovered that trying to restore a backup made on the desktop computer before I went away to the original location also failed. I cannot remember performing a similar restoration since my last big trip in April - since which there have been updates to both iMatch and Windows 10.

I attach the txt file which shows the error messages. Is this the useful information?

Thanks

Meyricke

Mario

The restore worked for

C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\config\
C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\Presets\

and fails for

C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\printing\
C:\ProgramData\photools.com\IMatch6\webroot\system

so you must check the file system permissions for these folders in Windows Explorer. Make sure that your user account can has read/write/modify privileges to these folders and all sub-folders and files contained within.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mserjeantson

Thanks. Problem solved.

I have not knowingly changed the file permissions and the restore utility worked as recently as June. Is it iMatch or Windows which will have changed the permissions?

If there's an easy answer I would love to know so that I can avoid the problem happening again.

Meyricke

Mario

The IMatch installer creates these folders with the "all users" permission.
But Windows security is a complex best, and copying files between computers sometimes causes issues.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mserjeantson