A few questions / notes

Started by cns9000, September 27, 2017, 07:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cns9000

Just installing and testing 2017 9.6 64-bit (as upgrade from Imatch 5).

In general, great, as always.

Few questions / suggestions / notes:

For the File Window:  is there no Select All option ?  Only thing I could find that works is select first, then CTRL-click, then select last, then CTRL-Shift-Click ... there must be an easier way

For the Slideshow:

Is it not possible to drag or configure the Window size ?  At the moment, it seems there are only two options, full-screen and a default partial-screen size, which can't be changed.

Would it not be possible to have an "enlarge small images to screen size" option, with an optional maximum enlarge percent, e.g. 300 %, as in gPhotoShowPro, which does this very effectively.

Also:  ({SlideShow.CurrentSlide}/{SlideShow.TotalSlides}) does not seem to work (the two numbers are always the same, i. e. TotalSlides)

Also:  the random-order option seems to be actually pseudo-random, i. e. for the same set of files, the order will always be the same.  Is there a way around that ?

All of the above are not major issues, but any response would be appreciated

Thanks !
Charles

Mario

You have posted in the wrong board.
The IMatch Anywhere boards are only for IMatch Anywhere topics. I have thus moved your post.
Tip: Each board has a description. Find the board that best matches your question.

QuoteFor the File Window:  is there no Select All option

<Ctrl>+<A> : standard Windows hotkey for "Select All".
You can also use the corresponding command from the context menu > Clipboard.
When you right-click on the group header (small bar above the folder with the folder name) you have additional select options.

The File Window help topic in the IMatch help covers these commands.
Tip: Print out the handy keyboard cheat sheets from the Quick Start Guide (Help menu) for an overview of all frequently used commands.

You might also want to view the free video tutorials in the IMatch Learning Center.
The file window tutorial shows how to select files.

QuoteIs it not possible to drag or configure the Window size ?

You want to configure what Window size? The IMatch window and all other panels inside can be freely resized.

QuoteWould it not be possible to have an "enlarge small images to screen size" o

Eh? You want to enlarge which images to screen size where?
The size of the thumbnails in the file window is limited to 100% of the size you select for your database (Edit > Preferences > Database).
Scaling up thumbnails to more than 100% makes no sense and would result in blurry images.

Why don't you use the Quick Preview Panel for this? It shows you the selected image in up to 800%.
Or the Viewer?

QuoteAlso:  ({SlideShow.CurrentSlide}/{SlideShow.TotalSlides}) does

Works great here. These variables can only be used in the slide show, mind.

QuoteAlso:  the random-order option seems to be actually pseudo-random, i. e. for the same set of files, the order will always be the same.

Works here. Enabling this option and then opening/closing the slide show multiple times always produces a different sequence.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

cns9000

Thank you so much for the quick reply, and apologies for posting to the wrong board.

Ctrl-A works great;  did not find that in the documentation at first

It was the slideshow window I wanted to resize;  actually, I figured that out.  It does work though it is a bit tricky.

>Eh? You want to enlarge which images to screen size where?
>The size of the thumbnails in the file window is limited to 100% of the size you select for your database (Edit > Preferences > Database).
>Scaling up thumbnails to more than 100% makes no sense and would result in blurry images.
>Why don't you use the Quick Preview Panel for this? It shows you the selected image in up to 800%.
>Or the Viewer?

Again, it was the images in the slideshow that I was referring to.  What I meant is an option to have the slideshow resize images to the size of the screen. i. e. for images below a certain set size, automatically scale the images, up to a specified maximum percent.  Where there is large variation in the size of images, this makes for a much more viewable presentation.

As far as ({SlideShow.CurrentSlide}/{SlideShow.TotalSlides}):  just tried it several more times, and it doesn't work on my computer.  Maybe depends on the number of images ?  I am selecting 33,962 images.
What happens is, it starts at 33954/33962 (always the same, when I try it), then increases correctly up to 33962/33962, then stays at 33962/33962 thereafter for all subsequent images

With respect to randomness, i. e. repeating an identical recognizable sequence each time the slideshow is started for that set of files:  this is somewhat odd.  It only does this the first time I run slideshow with that set of files, when I start off the program.  If I exit the slideshow and restart it, there is no repeating sequence.  If I exit the program and restart it, however, the repeating sequence occurs identically the first time the slideshow is run, but it starts only once the counter starts to repeat at 33962/33962.  33954 up to 33961 are actually random each time.  Weird.  Is this something you could look into ?  Not major, because exiting the slideshow and restarting it seems to fix it.

Thanks again for your prompt replies, and your assistance

Charles

Mario

Tip: Use the quote button in the toolbar above the post editor to wrap text you quote from other posts. This makes your post better readable, which helps to get replies.

QuoteIt was the slideshow window I wanted to resize; 

To toggle the full screen mode of the slide show, use <F>. I guess than 99.9% of all users only ever use the slide show in full-screen mode.
Resizing the window is possible but the border is intentionally thin so this requires some fiddling.
The slide show has been designed to display self-running slide shows, full-screen. Using it in a window does not make much sense.

If you want to review files, use the Viewer.

To control how the slide show scales images, see Edit  > Preferences > Slide Show.

I tried with 50,000 files. The slide show starts at file 9312 and then counts up. No problem.

QuoteWith respect to randomness, i. e. repeating an identical recognizable sequence each time the slideshow is started for that set of files:

Works here as I said. Same set of files, different sequence every time I open the slide show. Starts at file 9312 the first time, then 14872 and then 891.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook