@Everyone - Please vote !

Started by ben, September 30, 2017, 07:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ben

Hi everyone,

i am experiencing some special behaviour in the viewer and cannot find the reason for that (according to mario it seems to be special to my computer).

Please give a short feedback if the following happens to you as well.
   When constantly scrolling through images in the viewer (@>=1-2 images/second, at least 50 images in the viewer),
   loading of the next images is delayed (for ~0.5 seconds) and the message "loading ..." appears on black background.

P.S.: The discussion to this topic can be found here:
       https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=7101

Thanks a lot for your help!

Ben

rafiki

Mario

QuoteWhen constantly scrolling through images in the viewer (@>=1-2 images/second, at least 50 images in the viewer),
   loading of the next images is delayed (for ~0.5 seconds) and the message "loading ..." appears on black background.

This is perfectly normal.

When you scroll faster than the Viewer can load files in the background, this message will appear until the image is loaded.
The Viewer pre-loads files in the direction of the last scroll. If you scoll out of that range or change scroll direction, the Viewer needs to wait until the current image loads are complete, then remove the images from memory and load the now current set of images. You can control the number of pre-loaded files with the corresponding setting under Edit > Preferences > Application: Viewer.

The message should go away after a few seconds, when the background loaded in the Viewer did catch up. If this does not happen => problem.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ben

QuoteWhen you scroll faster than the Viewer can load files in the background, this message will appear until the image is loaded.
This is not what i mean. Maybe i didn't explain it well enough.

Scroll as slow as that the next image to be displayed has already been preloaded before.

I would suggest to keep these kind of discussions in the other thread.
I opened up this thread to get other user experiences first.

sinus

Ben,
on my (not good) laptop with 950 jpgs (2000px width), I have this behaviour very seldom!
I can move and with up to 6 images (l6), even l8.

No problem.

Then I looked in the prefs, the preload speed was set to 0 (auto).

fine.

I setted this then to 10 (preload) and tried again:
I see your described behaviour (text "loading" on black) almost all the time, if I move.

I tried then with preloading of 6 an 2: all the same.

fazit on my laptop: auto works great, all other prefs not.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

The log file tells how many files IMatch preloads when you set it to auto. it is something between 2 and 20.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

I use the viewer quite often, and usually with several hundred photos selected, but I've never had any issues, at least not with the IMatch 2017 viewer.

sinus

I made also a test with my main-computer, again.

Also here: no doubt for me the preference for the "preload xx images" is very important.
I had it as 25 images, and it worked quite well.

But now I tried it (like in my laptop) with Auto (value = 0) and this is even better.
I can then scroll slow or quickly, I cannot see this "loading"-text.

Except, if I scroll very fast (what I do almost never), then I can see this message.
But because this is almost never the case I cannot see this behaviour and hence I have no problems with the viewer.

I guess also, a lot of users does use the viewer to compare images and for this, usually you will not scroll very quickly.

At least, I cannot see your behaviour, if I set the preload-preference to Auto, not here on my main-computer, nor on my laptop.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

ben

Hm.
Thanks for your efforts,I appreciate that.
I keep trying to find out what goes wrong on my computer