@Keywords Year?

Started by rafiki, September 29, 2017, 06:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rafiki

Is there a way to add to my @Keywords a data-driven YEAR entry? I can't see a way.

Mario

@Keywords mirrors the keywords in your files.

Where should the Year come from? What should it do?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rafiki

Some of us are not as well versed in these things as others and need guidance. If I could answer your questions I would already know the answer I presume.

thrinn

If you really need the year to appear under @Keywords, you have to add the correct year as a keyword to all of your files. For example, by using the time line panel to show all files of one year, selecting all of them and entering the year as a new keyword. But this would be a manual process.
If you need only some kind of grouping, maybe the timeline view is sufficient? Nothing to do in this case.
Another option is to create a data driven category, similar to https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=7166.msg49724#msg49724. But this does not produce keywords, it is a normal data driven category.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

In addition to the post above, if you really want to include the year the image was taken as a keyword, you can do this via a Metadata Template.

That's why I asked. What do you want to do with the year? Do you want to have the year as a keyword?
We can only guess why you expect a year to show up under @Keywords or where you want this to come from...

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rafiki

Quote from: Mario on September 29, 2017, 07:50:37 PM
In addition to the post above, if you really want to include the year the image was taken as a keyword, you can do this via a Metadata Template.

That's why I asked. What do you want to do with the year? Do you want to have the year as a keyword?
We can only guess why you expect a year to show up under @Keywords or where you want this to come from...

My apologies. I misunderstood. Yes, I would like to have the year as a keyword.

Mario

Quote from: rafiki on September 29, 2017, 10:04:36 PM
My apologies. I misunderstood. Yes, I would like to have the year as a keyword.

You can of course just add the keyword manually in the keyword panel. The amount of work involved depends on how many years you have in your database.

1. Select a year in the timeline.
2. Select all files in the file window.
3. Add the year as a keyword.

Alternatively, create a metadata template which uses a variable as the source and the hierarchicalSubject tag as the target. Then apply this template to all files in your database.
I would probably use something like this:

If you have not used metadata templates before, check out the corresponding help topic in the IMatch help system.

Both methods of course will cause each file in your database to become pending and you will have to write them back at some time.
Having the year as a keyword does not help much with searching or organizing files. The timeline automatically manages your files by their date. The search and filter functions in IMatch can also use the file date. You can create a "Files per Year" data-driven category easily, no need for having the year as a keyword. Just as a reminder.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

rafiki

I just wanted to thank you both for your help and understanding. I finally decided on a data-driven category {File.DateTime|format:MM}-{File.DateTime|format:MMMM} which gives me the result I require. See screenshot for the final setup. I understand why there needs to be leading sequential numbers but it is a pity the script can't have a switch to hide them. Just my tidy mind but I am happy with what I have now got. Thanks again.

thrinn

QuoteI understand why there needs to be leading sequential numbers but it is a pity the script can't have a switch to hide them.
Could you please explain what you mean with "leading sequential number"? In your screenshot it looks as if you concatenate the 2-digit-year and the 4-digit-year (separated by a dash) to generate the data-driven category. But I don't see why this is needed. If you just want the year, {File.DateTime|format:YYYY} should be sufficient. (I assume you used YY and YYYY, not MM/MMMM, right?).
I seem to miss something ???

One additional remark (just ignore it, if you are aware of it  ;)): You created a data-driven category, not a keyword containing a year (so far I can tell from your screenshot). This means the year will remain in the IMatch database and not travel with you images.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

rafiki

Quote from: thrinn on September 30, 2017, 10:35:14 PM
QuoteI understand why there needs to be leading sequential numbers but it is a pity the script can't have a switch to hide them.
Could you please explain what you mean with "leading sequential number"? In your screenshot it looks as if you concatenate the 2-digit-year and the 4-digit-year (separated by a dash) to generate the data-driven category. But I don't see why this is needed. If you just want the year, {File.DateTime|format:YYYY} should be sufficient. (I assume you used YY and YYYY, not MM/MMMM, right?).
I seem to miss something ???

I was blindly following what I (thought) I had read. You are right, the first part (YY) is not required. I have corrected it and I now have just the YYYY showing.

QuoteOne additional remark (just ignore it, if you are aware of it  ;)): You created a data-driven category, not a keyword containing a year (so far I can tell from your screenshot). This means the year will remain in the IMatch database and not travel with you images.

Yes, I am fine with it being a category. It is for my organisational purposed in iMatch.

Thanks again.