Create one Design&Print file from images stored in different folders

Started by BanjoTom, October 19, 2017, 10:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanjoTom

Like most IMatch users, I have a number of images stored in various separate folders. 

While it's easy to create a Design&Print document from a few images stored in ONE folder, I don't see how to easily load selected images from multiple folders into a single D&P template.  Is this possible? 

I know I could copy all the images I want into a new temporary folder, but since my D&P template includes the folder-location information, this would provide a false reference to where the images are actually stored on my PC.   Suggestions?
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

sinus

Quote from: BanjoTom on October 19, 2017, 10:51:58 PM
Like most IMatch users, I have a number of images stored in various separate folders. 

While it's easy to create a Design&Print document from a few images stored in ONE folder, I don't see how to easily load selected images from multiple folders into a single D&P template.  Is this possible? 

I know I could copy all the images I want into a new temporary folder, but since my D&P template includes the folder-location information, this would provide a false reference to where the images are actually stored on my PC.   Suggestions?

Tom, simply use collections, or cats.

Give e.g. all images, from different folders, a bookmark and go then to the bookmarks.
Or dots, flags or whatever.

Or, like I do it often, create a category for this. Assign all images to this cat, and then you have also all images together.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

You can select multiple folders (on the same level) in the media & folders view.
Alternatively, as sinus noted above, bring them into the same scope (temporary category, bookmarks or other collection) and then open D&P from there.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

BanjoTom

Thanks, Sinus & Mario -- now that you explained it, it seems OBVIOUS!   :-[ 
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

sinus

Quote from: BanjoTom on October 19, 2017, 11:59:06 PM
Thanks, Sinus & Mario -- now that you explained it, it seems OBVIOUS!   :-[

People tends to see some complicated things very clear - but does oversee the obvious things.
I do not know where, but somewhere I have read something like this.

And I did oversee a lot of obvious things.  8)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Categories are actually a very good tool to 'layout' the files you want for Design & Print.
I explain that in more depth in the documentation (Page Flow).

If you prepare the files you want to print in categories, Design & Print automatically uses these categories to create the groups for dynamic templates. And this enables you to use different page designs, header and footer pages (categories => chapters/sections) etc. - all based on the categories you prepare and drop. Very powerful and a big time saver when you print often.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook