Nik Collection/DxO PhotoLab

Started by jch2103, October 25, 2017, 08:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch2103

As many of you know, Google acquired the Nik Collection of image editing tools back in 2012, then discontinued development and finally made it available for free. DxO has now acquired the Nik Collection and will continue development. Currently, it's still available for free at https://nikcollection.dxo.com/, with a (likely paid) new version available in 2018.

DxO has also renamed it DxO Optics Pro as DxO PhotoLab, with a number of improvements. Through November 30th, DxO PhotoLab ESSENTIAL will cost $99 and DxO PhotoLab ELITE will cost $149. Starting December 1st, the software will go up to $129 and $199 respectively.

I'm a long time DxO user; I think this is good news for photographers, especially in light of recent developments by Adobe.
John

Jingo

I like Dxo as well... but I've already had trouble actually getting things to process in a "timely manner" using some of their auto-advance options.  Also, the file sizes of the exported files were getting too large for my system so I gave it up.. nice to see Nik products continue on... pretty sure they will envelop them into their own product over time and charge you for the options.. but at least it isnt' vaporware ... like sagelight!

Carlo Didier

Good for the Nik tools which I love.
Too bad DxO still stubbornly refuses to process any om my 90000 DNGs ... there's absolutely no technical reason for that limitation.

sinus

Quote from: Carlo Didier on October 26, 2017, 08:29:26 AM
Good for the Nik tools which I love.
Too bad DxO still stubbornly refuses to process any om my 90000 DNGs ... there's absolutely no technical reason for that limitation.

Hm, one point more against DNGs  ;D (but of course not the fault of DNG)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Jingo

Yes.. when I was in full on DNG mode a few years back - I gave up on Dxo reading non-native DNG files... it is surely a sticking point for many still... many years later!

lnh

It's nice to see the Nik Collection find a new home, but I'm more than ambivalent due to DxO's refusal to support Fuji X-Trans based cameras. Hopefully they will really support standalone versions rather than just integrate it into the new follow-on to DxO OP. Now that I feel more comfortable with Capture One, I rarely go back to DxO OP even for cameras I use which they support. Currently, I will sometimes use the Nik components from within Capture One as an external editor.

Mario

Can you send me a sample image from your camera?
I want to make some tests here with a side-project I'm work on...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

lnh

Are you looking for DNGs or X-Trans based RAF files? If RAF, do you want compressed (non-lossy) or non compressed or both?

Mario

RAF. Both variants.

I'm always looking for samples for my auto-test library. And Fuji RAW files are special in many ways.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook