RAW files (Sony .arw files) only as preview in viewer

Started by blackhead2, October 24, 2017, 10:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhead2

Hello again,

after working with the keyword features I'm no spending time working with the viewer and I'm facing the issue that my Sony ARW files (NEX5r, A6000 and A7II) are only shown in preview size when opened in the viewer.

This is the WIC diagnosis output:

List of installed codecs:
   Codec 'BMP Decoder' for extensions .bmp,.dib,.rle
   Codec 'GIF Decoder' for extensions .gif
   Codec 'ICO Decoder' for extensions .ico,.icon
   Codec 'JPEG Decoder' for extensions .jpeg,.jpe,.jpg,.jfif,.exif
   Codec 'PNG Decoder' for extensions .png
   Codec 'TIFF Decoder' for extensions .tiff,.tif
   Codec 'WMPhoto Decoder' for extensions .wdp,.jxr
   Codec 'Phase One Image Decoder 2' for extensions .TIFF,.TIF,.IIQ,.IIP,.EIP,.MOS
   Codec 'Sony Raw Decoder' for extensions .srf,.sr2,.arw

Testing file 'xxx\DSC07499.ARW'
   Thumbnail: Codec 'Sony Raw Decoder'
      () 1616x1080 pixel in 0 ms.
   Preview: Codec 'Sony Raw Decoder'
      () 1616x1080 pixel in 0 ms.
   Full resolution: Codec 'Sony Raw Decoder'
      () 6000x4000 pixel in 15 ms.

RESULT: A codec for this file format is installed and it looks like it fully supports the format.

I already did a update of the cache, so I would expect that I can see the files in full resolution in the viewer, isn't it?

Am I missing something or is it not possibe to see the raws in full resolution?

Thank you (again) in advance!

Best regards,

Jens

Mario

By default, Match prefers the embedded preview for performance reasons.
Your files only contain a 1024 pixel preview. Maybe you need to adjust a camera setting so a 100% preview image is embedded?

See this knowledge-base article Ignoring Small Embedded Previews in RAW Images to see how to force IMatch to ignore the embedded cache image. Also, the help topic for Edit > Preferences > Cache is useful. Just press <F1> while in that dialog.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

blackhead2

Thank you Mario, this solves my issue!

Unfortunately there is no option to increase the size of the embedded jpeg in the arw file. So ist seems that not only older cameras embed a low res jpeg but also current sony cameras do it...

Mario

Cameras usually use the emebdded preview to speed up display on the camera monitor.
AFAIK Nikon / Canon models allow to configure the embedded preview to be 100%, which is useful for a lot more purposes than just the monitor. If Sony does not allow you to do this, the only way is to tell IMatch to ignore the embedded preview.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook