Force versions to expand next to master?

Started by blackhead2, November 12, 2017, 12:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhead2

Hello all,

when working with versions I'm sometimes a little bit confused by the way IMatch handles versions in the file window even if it is straight forward from logical point of view:

E.g. when I have the root folder with some pictures of which one is a master and a child folder containing some versions. When I toogle the version stack in this scenario I don't see any versions as the file window shows only pictures from the root folder. And when I enable the hierarchical show also the contents of the child folder the version don't show up next to the version but I have to scroll down to the child folder to see them. So logically it is clear why IMatch is working in that way. But sometimes not really intuitive from my point of view.

Is there some possibilty to force the versions show up next to the master independent from location and sort order other than locating the versions in the root folder?

How do you handle this in your workflow?

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Jens

Mario

IMatch does not by default merge files from sub-folders with files from a folder higher in the hierarchy.
Most users separate versions into sub-folders for good reasons. Other users keep masters and versions in the same folder, which makes things simpler.

If you spread your versions across sub-folders but you now want to see them not only in the same scope but also sorted next to their masters without respect to the sub-folder:

1. Use the Show all versions command. This opens master and versions in a separate result window.

or

2. Enable hierarchy mode to show both the contents of the selected folder and its sub-folders. Also enable the option to not group by folder (also in the Hierarchy menu).
This throws all your files into one big heap without further grouping of any kind.
The you can control the sort order via the sort profile you choose. If you choose the Version sort profile you should get what you want.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

blackhead2

Thank you! I didn't see the "group by folder" option but now it is exactly what I want. The 30 days for the trial is by far not enough to check all the features Imatch has  ;)