How to remove specific repeating folder not needed to be seen in "Media & Folder

Started by ianrr, November 12, 2017, 02:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianrr

Love your work Mario !!

Specifically for now I have so many "CaptureOne" folders that I do not need to see for my use of Imatch.

How to not show them  .. apart from individually selecting each one. and then it will still grow with each time I add new files.

Thanks in advance  .. Ian

Mario

IMatch is designed to manage all folders you add to your database, and their sub-folders, recursively.
Unfortunately, Capture One spreads folders all around your hard disk. And since these folders are not marked as hidden or system, IMatch will index them. No harm with that, though.

I recommend just to ignore this. IMatch does not care and unless you explicitly expand the parent folder, you won't see the C1 folders in the Media & Folders view.
Another idea would be to the folders to hidden in Windows Explorer (properties of the folder). IMatch by default ignores folders marked as system or hidden : Edit menu > Preferences > Indexing.

But I don't know how Capture One reacts when you do this so try it with one folder first. Capture One does many strange things with files and metadata so best to test.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ianrr

Thanks Mario. Tried hiding a C1 folder but still shows up in Imatch after rebooting    ...   would be nice to just hide it from showing.

Thanks for your quick response  .. Ian

Mario

IMatch does not remove folders from the database by itself.
You have to use the "Remove Folder from database" command available in the context menu to remove folders from the database.

If the folder is hidden it will no longer be added when you rescan the parent folder.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on November 12, 2017, 08:16:18 AM... Capture One does many strange things with files and metadata so best to test.

Which was my main reason never to switch to C1, although it's a really good Raw converter otherwise. Note that ON1 isn't much better in that respect ...

Jingo

Quote from: Carlo Didier on November 13, 2017, 01:46:43 PM
Quote from: Mario on November 12, 2017, 08:16:18 AM... Capture One does many strange things with files and metadata so best to test.

Which was my main reason never to switch to C1, although it's a really good Raw converter otherwise. Note that ON1 isn't much better in that respect ...

Just to note - you don't NEED to any metadata editing in C1 to avoid these folders and other oddbits that C1 seems to enjoy... I use C1 strictly as a RAW editor, export to JPG and do all my management in IM... its a win = win situation.. best of both worlds IMO.  My RAW folders do not have any C1 folders so even if I were to add them IM, no additional data would appear.

ianrr

Thanks,  re working with JPG files. It is an option to export JPG files in a directory looked at by Imatch.
I still like to  shoot in raw, but I will definitely look at the post processed JPG route once I am fully comfortable with 8bit images getting the results I feel comfortable with.
I tried for a while with JPEG 2000 output from Capture One ... seemed good, but does not seem to show up in ON1 RAW, which I am finding very interesting , with quick and good results so far  ..only had it for two days.

Jingo

You bet... I have my workflow setup to:

a) Import RAW images from camera memory cards to RAW Folders on PC (BreezeDownloader Pro will rename based on camera and place in subfolders by date)
b) Import RAW images into C1 with Import Profile (reduce hightlights, add clarity/saturation, etc) - allow C1 to build preview files
c) Cull, Edit and tweak each file as needed using copy/paste develop settings for similar/like images.
d) Batch Export to JPG using an Export Profile (100% JPG exported to PHOTOS Folder on PC)
e) IMatch auto-imports the JPGs from the watched subfolders
f) Rate, keyword, GPS tag, etc in IMatch.

Rinse and repeat for each new photo shoot!

I don't link my RAW to JPG's because I typically never go back and re-edit a RAW file... but, it is easy to do since C1 has all the edits in the catalog and my RAW folder scheme and filenames match.  If you do wish to keep it all together, IMatch can do this with versions.

Mario

Quote(BreezeDownloader Pro will rename based on camera and place in subfolders by date)

Just to mention it: The Renamer in IMatch can do the same.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Yeah.. IM can do what I need and a lot more too... but I need to use Breeze because I don't want to ingest the RAW images.. its just my workflow... if I ever change it and do engage versioning - you can be sure I'll drop breeze and use the import from IMatch... thx!

ianrr

Mario, any chance of in the panel which says " remove from Database" also adding also one that says "Remove and hide from Database"  ... I have many hundreds of C1 entries to deal with and they will keep on adding with each new photo set I add  ... just a thought  ..

Thanks,  Ian

Mario

Please place feature requests in the feature request board. Other users can see them there and I don't search old posts for feature requests included in one of the replies.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator