How does one use the LibRaw project?

Started by Aubrey, November 12, 2017, 02:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

Is there a way to insist to use the LibRaw project WIC codec?

I had an issue with reading CR2 files (only getting thumbnail). I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the FPV codec, then everything worked (there was a recent automatic windows upgrade on my machine - I know it should not affect codecs but...).

It was only afterwards I thought about the new LibRaw codec that should be available.

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

The camera vendor is supposed to know best how to produce an accurate rendition of the RAW data in your files.
Hence IMatch favors WIC codecs for good reasons.

If no WIC codec is found or the WIC codec returns an error, IMatch uses the embedded lLibRaw-based routines.
Which produce good results if a suitable embedded preview is found, but may produce sub-optimal results when the preview is missing and the RAW data needs to be developed. The result will be a rather flat rendition because IMatch has none of the advanced features of a RAW processor.

You can force IMatch to ignore WIC codecs for all RAW formats and always use the embedded RAW processing if you really have to: Edit > Preferences > Application. Search for RAW. I don't recommend this, though.

That a Windows update breaks the RAW installation is a known problem. Re-installing 3rd party WIC codecs usually does the trick. Feel free to contact Microsoft or the FPV software creator about this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on November 12, 2017, 03:09:38 PM
Feel free to contact Microsoft or the FPV software creator about this.

As I've said in other emails, though on different subjects... life's too short.

After all I wouldn't be sending an email to "Mario", so I expect it would go to junk!  ;)

It's probably better use of time to simply do the reinstall of FPV to get everything working again.

Quote from: Mario on November 12, 2017, 03:09:38 PM

You can force IMatch to ignore WIC codecs for all RAW formats and always use the embedded RAW processing if you really have to: Edit > Preferences > Application. Search for RAW. I don't recommend this, though.

Thank you the explanation, I will test it next time. I did look for it in applications but couldn't find it, however. I missed the "search" at the bottom of the panel - you do think of everything. I now see the option.

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

Quotehowever. I missed the "search" at the bottom of the panel - you do think of everything. I now see the option.

This was requested by fellow users and I the search a couple of releases ago. IMatch is always improving, driven by users.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook