Trying to setup Video only catalog but all videos are .iso image files.

Started by photomy, December 10, 2017, 08:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

photomy

I have quite a few videos setup as .iso archive "image" files because it is so convenient for burning and works great for easy click playing on PC.  I created a new database/catalog just for my video files and wanted to start adding a few keywords - maybe some as hierarchical - genre, subjects, actors, ratings, etc.

.iso is not a real file format type but just an extension so it did not show up in the Video file types.

Is there a way for IMatch to create xmp sidecar files and allow metadata input similar to image files into catalog and xmp files?  AND, to treat these xmp sidecar files in the same buddy relationship as for image files.

First, if I create a new file type which Class and other settings should I use.

So far I can add single keywords into the catalog but that is as far as it will go.

Thanks, for any ideas.

Mario

An .ISO file is basically a binary "image" of a CD, DVD or BR-D. Creating an ISO file one of the steps when burning CD/DVD/BR-D.  Modern Windows versions can mount ISO files like normal disks, making the files on the ISO available. An ISO file is usually nothing you would ever manage in a DAM.

You can add .ISO as a custom file format under Edit > Preferences > File Formats. IMatch will then index the files and include them in the database. This makes them available for categories, collections, XMP data, versioning, buddy files etc.  Press <F1> while in Edit > Preferences > File Formats to learn more.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

photomy

" An ISO file is usually nothing you would ever manage in a DAM."  Why not?  It certainly is being used for digital assets that need to be managed. Windows treats it as a file.  It sorts, searches, by file name, etc.  You can click it using Windows and instantly play the movie with video software running on Windows.  There is a large trend for families having computer media machines with hard drive storage of media files. I was moving in this direction and wanted to be able to do various filtering, searches by keywords, etc.  Just like I do with my photo images.

.iso is a wrapper/container/image file of sorts (not sure exactly) with all the individual movie files included which would be a real pain to manage in DAM.  I read some video people use MKV as a container for these files which offers video menu features but .iso can more easily be burned to a dvd for universal use in a player.  Not all dvd players play a MKV file.  Maybe I should use a different universal file format to handle video files?  Not excited about going through some special compression program just to convert over.  Most are already compressed just small enough to fit on a standard DVD disc.

Anyway, I have tried to set things up using custom file format.  Which Class should I use?  Is there a way to tell IMatch not to bother scanning inside of the file which wastes time?  It seems xmp sidecar files could easily be a universal metadata storage format for almost any file type.  Could xmp be used as backup metadata storage for such a custom file format?

Also, hierarchical keyword feature is not working thus far for adding keywords.  Not sure why.

Mario

QuoteAnyway, I have tried to set things up using custom file format.  Which Class should I use? 

Multimedia?

QuoteIs there a way to tell IMatch not to bother scanning inside of the file which wastes time? 

It does not scan inside the ISO file. It produces a checksum, gets file system information and asks Windows to produce a thumbnail for the file. It that fails, it uses the icon of the application associated with the ISO file format. You can limit the file size considered for caching via Edit > Preferences Cache,

QuoteIt seems xmp sidecar files could easily be a universal metadata storage format for almost any file type. 

Adobe designed XMP with a strong focus on digital mages. IMatch allows you to use XMP data for all files, though. Since ISO files don't have metadata, XMP is your best bet.

QuoteCould xmp be used as backup metadata storage for such a custom file format?

What is backup metadata storage?

QuoteAlso, hierarchical keyword feature is not working thus far for adding keywords.  Not sure why.

Hierarchical keywords are stored in the IMatch database and backed up in XMP.

Define "not working".  What does this mean? Input not possible? Data lost? Explosions?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

photomy

"backup metadata storage" 

Primary metadata storage in catalog.  Backup in xmp files if possible.

Re hierarchical keyword tool, I have a small thesaurus setup, i click a keyword and nothing happens.  Usually, pops right in to the keyword field.

I will keep checking possible problems.  <<<  UPDATE: TRIED A DIFFERENT THES. AND IT MUST BE A PROBLEM WITH THE THES. I CREATED.  SO, THAT WILL BE FIXED.

How do i add file characteristics for a custom file?  Preferences does not seem to give me option to add xmp sidecar file for metadata for example.

UPDATE:  I did something to fix this.  It is now creating xmp sidecar files  hallelujah !!