How to show camera serial number in a metadata field for Nikon nef files.

Started by photomy, December 12, 2017, 05:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

photomy

I have tried all of the tag options that sound like a serial number and they all come up blank.  I use Nikon DSLR.

The exiftool does reveal a 7 digit number for a field labeled serial number which I believe is the correct number.

I searched and saw this older post which makes it sound like "a snap" but not sure how to take it to the next level.

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=3824.msg25597#msg25597

I assume maybe some variable definition/expression similar to:  {File.MD.Exif::Main\272\Model\0)
OR  {File.MD.Exif::Main\271\Make\0} ?

I do not know what 272,271 means or where it came from, or 0 so I am stuck.

Thanks for any ideas.

jch2103

There's an expression: 'Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.' That's certainly what camera makers (including Nikon) seem to think.

In other words, for different models, Nikon seems to use different IDs for serial number. In my case, for one of my cameras (Nikon 1 V3), the tag name is Nikon::\Main\160\SerialNumber\0. I can't check right now, but I believe my other Nikons have different tag names (e.g., 271, 272).

So depending on how you want to use the information, you'll need to figure out the specific tag name and use the right format for your use. If you want to use the tag in a metadata layout, use 'Edit Layouts' and add a new tag for that layout. Do a search in the 'Nikon' group for serial number.

John

sinus

For my D7000 it is:

{File.MD.Exif::Main\42033\SerialNumber\0}

for D750 is

(hm, the same  ;D)

tip:
if you know your serial, you can search over all tags with the File Window Search, over the whole DB, and over all tags, everywhere. Then you can see in the metadata-panel, in what tag the serial is.

edit:
hm, also
{File.MD.XMP::aux\SerialNumber\SerialNumber\0}
{File.MD.XMP::exifEX\BodySerialNumber\SerialNumber\0}

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

photomy

So the key is the number in this expression ?

Main\42033\SerialNumber

How were you able to find the number required for your model number?

sinus

Quote from: photomy on December 12, 2017, 06:11:50 PM

Main\42033\SerialNumber

tip:
if you know your serial, you can search over all tags with the File Window Search, over the whole DB, and over all tags, everywhere. Then you can see in the metadata-panel, in what tag the serial is.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Main\42033\SerialNumber

1. Switch the Metadata Panel to the Browser mode. This shows you all the data in your files.

2. Then search for the word serial to find all tags which contain the term serial in their name.

3. If you have found the tag, right-click on the tag name and use "Copy as Variable" if you want to use it as a variable somewhere.
Otherwise, just remember the tag name and add it to one of your Metadata Panel layouts. This way you can see it for each file. Or use it for a data-driven category (photos per camera) or whatever use you have for it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

photomy

Quote from: Mario on December 12, 2017, 06:48:51 PM

Main\42033\SerialNumber

1. Switch the Metadata Panel to the Browser mode. This shows you all the data in your files.

2. Then search for the word serial to find all tags which contain the term serial in their name.

3. If you have found the tag, right-click on the tag name and use "Copy as Variable" if you want to use it as a variable somewhere.
Otherwise, just remember the tag name and add it to one of your Metadata Panel layouts. This way you can see it for each file. Or use it for a data-driven category (photos per camera) or whatever use you have for it.

Does not seem to be pulling the serial number out with this method.  I know it is in the raw file somewhere, because the exiftool shows it.  Any other ideas?

Mario

Then this tag is not imported by IMatch.

Remember that IMatch does not import the hundreds of proprietary maker notes Nikon and other camera vendors stuff in your images. Most of that data is not useful for humans and important all the data would blow up the database considerably. Some Nikon models store hundreds of values per file...

Use the ECP to figure out the name of the tag you want.
Then go into the Edit > Preferences > Metadata 2 > Tag Manager and dd the tag to the list of tags to import.
Then reload the metadata of affected files with Shift+Ctrl+F5.

For more information about the Tag Manager, see the IMatch help.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

photomy

ECP calls it "serial number" .

It does not come up anywhere in tag manager, although a lot of somewhat esoteric, new camera data does.

The purpose is to identify which images are taken with which cameras among a group of photographers.  Some have the same model.  I am convinced there must be a way to pull it out.  I will keep trying.

Mario

ECP calls it "serial number" .

When I look in the Tag Manager for serial, it returns two results.
When I look at some NEF files, this tag is filled and visible in the Metadata Panel, Browser mode.
It is always
Nikon::Main\29\SerialNumber  (D800,D850,D300,...)

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

photomy

Quote from: sinus on December 12, 2017, 06:06:12 PM
For my D7000 it is:

for D750 is

(hm, the same  ;D)

tip:

edit:
hm, also
{File.MD.XMP::aux\SerialNumber\SerialNumber\0}
{File.MD.XMP::exifEX\BodySerialNumber\SerialNumber\0}

Thanks, none seem to work.  Where did you get the 42033 number in the tag definition?

jch2103

Make sure you go into Edit/Preferences/Metadata 2 and click the 'Tag Manager' button. Make sure you have the Nikon tag group checked. Attached is a screenshot of my metadata tags listing. As you can see, in my case there are two 'Serial Number' listings.

As Mario notes, once you've added the tags to your database, you'll need to force-rescan the relevant images to bring the data into the database.

If you use the Exiftool Command Processor 'List Metadata' command on selected images, you;ll see all tags in those images, whether or not they've yet been added to your database.
John

photomy

Thanks.  That did it.

In Metadata 2 Tag Manager I was working on the Nikon custom fields for D700 and did not notice there was another Nikon box that was unchecked.  AND, only one of the two Nikon serial number tags showing in the Metadata Panel edit manager brings in the actual serial number - the other is blank, though they have the exact same title.

Now it works great.  Thanks again.

jch2103

John

Mario

That's the fun with the proprietary, undocumented and ever-changing Nikon maker notes. Don't be surprised if this data moves to another tag after a firmware update, or changes its format or something...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator