Delete GPS data for individual photos

Started by ChasS, December 14, 2017, 12:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChasS

My camera doesn't have built in GPS but I sometimes attach an add on unit which works fine. But, it can take a minute or two to lock on and in the meantime if a photo is taken it gets a GPS from the previous location.

How does one quickly delete the GPS data for a NEF & PDF pair of photos? 

Sometimes it can just be wrong, sometimes maybe a security issue.

Mario

Select the files in the file window and then clear the Lat/Lon/Alt data in the Metadata Panel. This is quick and works for any number of files.
If you have versioning set up between your NEF and the PSD, you only need to do that for the NEF. When you write-back the data will also be deleted in the versions.

If you need to do this often, create a Metadata Template which resets the coordinates, altitude and probably also the country/location. Then you can run it at any time to clear GPS and location data from your files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ChasS

Thanks. Yes, that is what I sort of expected to do but the data seems to be locked (even has a little lock picture next to it). How does one get over the lock.

thrinn

Which tags are we talking about? I ask because there are XMP GPS tags (e.g. XMP::exif\GPSLatitude\GPSLatitude\0) that can be modified. But, depending on your metadata layout, you might instead or also see GPS::Main\2\GPSLatitude\0. These are mapped tags. Just modify the XMP::exif tag. During metadata writeback (!) the corresponding GPS tag will be updated.

(I hope my understanding is correct her. If not, Mario will surely correct me  ;))
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

If a tag appears with a lock it cannot be modified directly by the user.
Don't try to fiddle with the EXIF or native GPS data - always use the corresponding XMP tags. What you see in the 'Default' Metadata Panel layout. When you change (or clear) the XMP GPS coordinates and location data, IMatch takes care that XMP and EXIF GPS are updated properly.

Tip: The Standard Tags for GPS Lat/Lon/Alt offered by IMatch in the Tag Selector dialog are the correct tags for you to update (in the Metadata Panel, a Metadata Template, or elsewhere).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ChasS

OK, I am sort of following this. I've been looking at the Metadata "Image Info" sub file. Often using the combined "GPS Position" tag.

The "Default" metadata submenu has the labels for GPS but the data section stays blank generally though somehow I've managed to get data in it on a couple of occasions. When I have had data in these and try and delete it it just returns so doesn't erase it in the locked Image Info section.

So I'm not getting something correct yet.

Mario

The default layout uses the default XMP metadata fields for Lat, Long, Altitude and GPS Timestamp.

XMP::exif\GPSLatitude\GPSLatitude
XMP::exif\GPSLongitude\GPSLongitude
XMP::exif\GPSAltitude\GPSAltitude
XMP::exif\GPSTimeStamp\GPSDateTime

when you change the coordinates for these tags manually (or via one of the GPS-related features in IMatch like the Map Panel) IMatch will store the data in the XMP record, and when you write-back the file, it will update the corresponding EXIF GPS tags in the file from the XMP coordinates.

From your post I don't understand in which file layout you have worked, whether you have updated the correct tags etc. Please give us more details.

QuoteWhen I have had data in these and try and delete it it just returns so doesn't erase it in the locked Image Info section.

You try to erase the data where? In the Metadata Panel? If so, which layout did you use? Which tags did you try to manipulate?
Tip: The name of the tag is displayed when you point the mouse cursor at the name column in the Metadata Panel.
You can also use the Copy as Variable command in the context menu (right-click the tag name) to show us exactly which tag you are working with (I did this to produce the list above for you).

When does the data 'return'? When you press save? When you leave the field and click on another tag?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator