Started by Aubrey, January 10, 2018, 08:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

Downloaded and installed -no issues
Just reading Release notes... I have a question...
Why did you not keep the fantastic pinboard for 2018 version and use it to entice people to upgrade?

New indexing looks useful

Aubrey

Mario

Quote from: Aubrey on January 10, 2018, 08:46:24 PM
Why did you not keep the fantastic pinboard for 2018 version and use it to entice people to upgrade?

IMatch 2018 will support a new type of app which replaces the file window. Or even adds new View types.
A lightable / pinboard mode is planned for that, and I want to get early feedback from users via the pinboard app.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

BanjoTom

Downloaded/installed 2017.13.2 with no problems -- seems quicker than ever.  I spent just a few minutes with the pinboard app, and it was fun to play with.  I have not yet tried printing from it, and want to explore it some more.  But it is -- as I noted previously -- VERY cool!

I also like being able to use the CNTRL+L combination to get to file window layouts quickly.  ALWAYS something new and improved in IMatch, so . . . thanks, Mario!
— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Mario

Great. Thanks for the feedback!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

axel.hennig

Just tried, the new "Pinboard App" and I like it.

One question: I can't figure out how to change the "Font" and "Frame" colour (see screenshot)? This does not seem to be a drop down menu or something similar.

sinus

Installed and works fine, no problems (though a new database format did irritate me, but after all I had created a backup before).

The pinboard is very cool.
I have to work with it more ... for example I have to look, if we can have more than one pinboard (store - load).

But over all, a very good idea! And easy to use.

Thanks for that. Like the notes a very good app.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Arthur

Feedback pinboard app:

1) Clicking on the "Invert Selection" lets the menu and the check boxes disappear and lets the user in an unclear state.
2) Some sort of rubber banding would be cool to select adjacent cards like selecting files in windows explorer, if this can be done in a browser.
3) Opening the settings (top right corner), while the menu (bottom) is open, should let the menu disappear. Otherwise the menu overlapps the "dialog" here.
4) Performing "Undo" lets the cards flicker
5) Maybe the overlay toolbar of the card should stay always on top of it. Otherwise the symbols are upside down and the read orientation is right to left, if the card is rotated 180 degree.
6) The icon for rotate right 90 degree shows to the wrong side.
7) Ctrl+X is a predefined shortcut for cut. Clear selection is Ctrl+D in tools like Affinity Photo or Photoshop.

Mario

Quote from: axel.hennig on January 10, 2018, 09:53:17 PM
One question: I can't figure out how to change the "Font" and "Frame" colour (see screenshot)? This does not seem to be a drop down menu or something similar.
Hm...it seems that the embedded browser in IMatch (Chromium) does not open the color dialog, for some reason. Run the app in your web browser to change the settings (use the menu in the App Manager to launch the app in an external browser). Please add a bug report so I can schedule time for this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

axel.hennig

Quote from: Mario on January 11, 2018, 09:04:42 AM
Please add a bug report so I can schedule time for this.

Done.

Mario

Quote from: Arthur on January 10, 2018, 10:34:55 PM
1) Clicking on the "Invert Selection" lets the menu and the check boxes disappear and lets the user in an unclear state.
Only when you had selected all before and thus inverting causes no selection. I decided to keep the menu open in that special case, assuming the user wants to select something.

Quote2) Some sort of rubber banding would be cool to select adjacent cards like selecting files in windows explorer, if this can be done in a browser.

No rubber -banding possible in browsers. Unless I would make this a project and try to figure out something via canvas.

Quote3) Opening the settings (top right corner), while the menu (bottom) is open, should let the menu disappear. Otherwise the menu overlapps the "dialog" here.

It overlaps only when you run this app in a small app panel. It' more designed to be run full-screen or in a floating app panel. But closing the menu is a good idea anyway (also when the help is opened).

Quote4) Performing "Undo" lets the cards flicker

No flicker. It reloads all elements and blends the new state in.

Quote5) Maybe the overlay toolbar of the card should stay always on top of it. Otherwise the symbols are upside down and the read orientation is right to left, if the card is rotated 180 degree.

?

Quote6) The icon for rotate right 90 degree shows to the wrong side.

I had it mirrored with the SVG-based icons but then had to revert back to regular font-based icons because of how FontAwesome 5 produces the icons via JavaScript asynchronously. This make it hard to deal with them when dynamic HTML is created (no real way to wait until the icons are there and can be changed). I have forgotten that this also disables the transformation. I have now switched that icon to FA4 which also has a  horizontal flip  ;)

7) Ctrl+X is a predefined shortcut for cut. Clear selection is Ctrl+D in tools like Affinity Photo or Photoshop.

Ctrl+D is for "Create Bookmark" in browsers.

[/quote]
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Arthur

4) Yes, I understand that you rebuild the view from scratch. But the user perceives it as flicker. It would be cool, if only the top of the undo stack could be reversed insitead of "clear all, rerun all". A redo for an undo is also nice to have.

5) I meant like in Rotated.png. This way a bounding box is used to display a selection, which helps to remove the check boxes. And the commands stay always on top and the user does not need to rotate his head to deside where to click. The buttons are displayed only on selected items and do not polute the view, while nothing is selected.

7) OK, if it is not Ctrl+D, then maybe something different. Ctrl+X may cause problems in the long run, if you insert inplace text boxes for example for renaming capabilities or if you deside to support full clipboard operations in the viewer.

Writting graphical editors is a "gate to hell" like my boss tends to say ^^

Mario

1.1 Even adding Undo was a task. Implementing potentially hundreds of lines to do a selective undo would be total overload. The key is to keep things as simple as possible. Feel free to improve the Undo, source code is included.

1.2 The flicker is actually a fast fade. I doubt many uses will mind. I could write additional code to animate or blend this (or make the fade/blend slower to emphasize it), but I did not bother.

2. I can live with how the rotation works. I assume that most users will never rotate more than a few degrees, if at all. I explicitly decided against displaying an outer box because this would definitely ruin the visual impression. It would also cause issues with the CSS and selectors, because the buttons would need a different parent structure in the code...

3. I have changed Ctrl+X to Ctrl+Shift+A.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

Gave the pin board a try:

1. I realize this is a test bed - but what will the final use of the pin board be? Produce what?

2. I had some smaller images hidden behind others - might need some way to indicate this.
Cycle through layers? Overlay frames of all images on the board?

3. Tried to arrange images - "sort them" as I like them. If this is something that users will do frequently then
there should be a way to insert an image between two others i.e. move images on the right over one frame.

Mario

1. I think I've explained this in the release notes. If this is unclear, let me know.

2. This can happen. Like on a real pinboard. Feature requests as usual via the feature request board, thanks.

3. You mean the images should slide to the outside to make room when you want to "insert" an image in-between?
Feature requests as usual via the feature request board. This thread will be old and forgotten in two weeks time.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

emef

Hello everyone,
I have a problem with the last update (2017.13.2). When I started the installation, it took about 45 minutes for the uninstall phase of the previous version, and now it's been over an hour since the progress bar was moving. I canceled the installation (in order to try again) and I find myself without the program, the folder "X: \ Program Files \ photools.com \ imatch6 \" has only two files: imatch.chw and new_exiftool.exe the 14/11/2017. I'm trying to restart the installation, but here are more than 10 minutes and nothing seems to happen (attachment).   :-\

Mario

Most likely this is your virus checker interfering.
First thing: Reboot once. Then retry.
If this does not help and temporarily disabling the virus checker does not help either (or adding an exception for IM) you can instruct Windows installer to produce a log file (Google for this). This may gather additional information about what is blocking with Windows Installer on your system.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

emef

Okay. I stopped KIS the time of the installation, and indeed the process went to the end this time.
But usually, every update IMatch, I have never had problems like this (slow, blocking or other). I will see the next upgrade.
Thank you for answering.

Mario

Such strange issues can happen all the time, even with a small update of your AV. It may have worked again after the next update.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

DigPeter

I have read the help page, but like Urbacher I cannot see what is the ultimate purpose of the Pin app.

Mario

Quote from: DigPeter on January 11, 2018, 11:07:36 PM
I have read the help page, but like Urbacher I cannot see what is the ultimate purpose of the Pin app.

From the release notes:

We consider this app as a prototype for a new kind of apps that will become available with the next major IMatch upgrade. The next generation of IMatch will support apps which can be used as a file window or 'View', opening new ways to present database contents to you. New ways to visualize data are paramount for some of the awesome features we have in development for IMatch 2018.

A file window that implements a custom sort like you would arrange files on a light table or your desktop is one of the enhancements we have planned. This will be ideal for sorting and sifting though image collections, create on-screen albums etc.

Please try out the Pinboard app and let us know via the community how you like it.

In other words: If you are not interested or the pinboard makes no sense to you, just ignore it. It's mainly a test suite for selected user groups. You may play with it, use it as a Notepad to keep track of some files, ... , or not use it at all.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

I like the idea of the Pin app. Really.  :D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus