OFFICIAL POLL - Please participate. Are 32-bit Editions still needed?

Started by Mario, January 18, 2018, 09:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Hi, Users  :)

To simplify my development workflow I plan to phase out the 32-bit editions of IMatch and IMatch Anywhere soon.

I'm currently migrating IMatch to the latest version of the Microsoft development tools to get access to the latest features and the brand-new compilers.
As usual, the biggest problems are caused by the 3rd party toolkits and some of the open source libraries I use in the project.
Having to do this only for 64-bit will make things easier.

There are currently 12 versions of IMatch to build, test and upload. Yikes.
Having only 64-bit editions will also cut the build and test times in half. And I don't need to upload 1 GB every time I ship a new build.

I doubt that there are still users who really need 32-bit software. All computers build in the past 5 or more years should be able to run 64-bit Windows and 64-bit software.
Looking at the download counters in the customer panel I see some 32-bit downloads, but that's probably just "in case" because these users did not switch to the 64-bit edition when it became available.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

axel.hennig

Isn't only the 32-bit version of IMatch able to convert old databases? I don't need this feature, but maybe other users?

Carlo Didier

Except for Axels remark, I can only see possible problems in interactions with other applications that are 32-bit, but those should be a thing of the past by now too.

Mario

The database converter to convert IMatch 3 databases will be removed from the next release. I no longer support IMatch 3 or 5.

Last year I wrote several emails to every IMatch 3 and 5 users, telling them about IMatch 2017 and even offering a fair rebate.
I guess that all users who wanted to migrate from IMatch 3/5 to IMatch 2017 did by now. For all other 3/5 users, I cannot and don't care anymore. These versions are legacy and I have my hands full with IMatch 2017, IMatch Anywhere and IMatch 2018.

If a user of IMatch 3 decides later that he wants to use IMatch, he can start over by creating a new database from his files. There is a manual way to copy categories/properties from IMatch 3 databases, too.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

I do not use a 32-bit-version.

We see here, how Mario does interact with users.  :D Thanks for that.
A lot of other program-companies does not ask, the do decide, like "not more 32-bit" and that's it.

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

mastodon

Why don't you count the users of the 32 bit versions, and maybe ask them? (Including a question/questionnaire in a new update) Actually only they are entitled to vote about this.

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on January 18, 2018, 11:03:07 AM
If a user of IMatch 3 decides later that he wants to use IMatch, he can start over by creating a new database from his files. There is a manual way to copy categories/properties from IMatch 3 databases, too.

The fact that there's a manual way to transfer categories/properties means that no one will really be abandoned or left completely behind. Once again the open methods of IMatch prove to be a benefit. 

John

Mario

Quote from: mastodon on January 18, 2018, 11:47:35 AM
Why don't you count the users of the 32 bit versions, and maybe ask them? (Including a question/questionnaire in a new update) Actually only they are entitled to vote about this.
I did. But I keep only download logs for the past two weeks - this is mostly a diagnosis tool for me in case users report download issues.
I see 50+ downloads of the 32-bit edition by 38 unique users. But not all users install every update. And a two week period is quite short. Hence I decided to start an additional poll - as a way to provide additional info and discussion.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

I keep IMatch Anywhere on a separate computer. This is a 32 bit operating system.
It just shows how good and efficient is IMA that it runs fine on an old machine!

Anybody like to donate me a 64 bit machine - I don't need the internal hard drive?

Aubrey.

Mario

Quote from: Aubrey on January 18, 2018, 04:07:54 PM
I keep IMatch Anywhere on a separate computer. This is a 32 bit operating system.
It just shows how good and efficient is IMA that it runs fine on an old machine!

Anybody like to donate me a 64 bit machine - I don't need the internal hard drive?

Aubrey.
You did not vote in the pool. Still 0 votes for 32-bit  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Tallpics

I'm fully commited to 64-bit and see no need for Mario to complicate his workflow by supporting 32-bit.

BTW Mario, I'm looking forward to IMatch 2018. When will you be looking for us to upgrade?

;-)

Mario

Quote from: Tallpics on January 18, 2018, 06:13:52 PM
BTW Mario, I'm looking forward to IMatch 2018. When will you be looking for us to upgrade?
;-)
When it is ready  ;D
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Arthur

I think, you can say, that it is released in 2018, otherwise you have to change the name. :-)

Mario

Quote from: Arthur on January 18, 2018, 06:39:02 PM
I think, you can say, that it is released in 2018, otherwise you have to change the name. :-)
Not really. It's 2018 and we're using IMatch 2017. I just keep 'upping the months in the version number.

But I surely will release a new major version of IMatch and IMatch Anywhere this year.
If you all start saving a couple of dollars per month, you should be good when its ready. <hint> <hint>
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ColinIM

For many years I have run a separate 'test' installation of IMatch on the less powerful of my two 64-bit-capable Windows 7 computers, along with a small set of 'test' databases.  For various reasons I have delayed upgrading IMatch on that 'test' computer from IMatch 5 to IMatch 2017, therefore those test databases are still in 'IM5' format.

Based on the IMatch Release Notes which you gave us with the early 64-bit editions of IMatch, I know that I will need to use a 32-bit version of IMatch 2017 initially to convert my 'test' databases from IM5 to IM2017 - then I'll be able to install the latest 64-bit version of IMatch 2017 on that other 'test' computer as well.

In the meantime - on each IMatch update - I have been downloading both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions.

I will now lift the priority of this upgrade on that test computer so I no longer need a (recent) 32-bit IMatch version. It's a long overdue task!!

Colin P.

Mario

The database converter is only for IMatch 3 databases. IMatch 2017 will open IMatch 5 databases automatically, converting them to the current database format when first opened.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

meyersoft

I don't know if the mini PCs run Windows 32 or 64 bit - maybe I will start with such a device for imatch anywhere.

Mario

This depends on the "mini PC". I would not buy a PCs (of any size) with only 32-bit processors. Too limiting.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

JohnZeman

Mario

@All

Commenting is good, but don't forget to fill out the poll at the top as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ger

IMatch 3 is legacy for several years now and -for those still using it- it will continue to work fine. If somebody in the future wants to upgrade, I see two options.

First, IM3 is a very open database (one of the key benefits!) so it will still be possible to export all kind of data, settings and whats more outside of IM3 (text files etc). IM5 is also a very open database (one of the key benefits), so the upgrader can use tools to import his data in IM5. I admit: a lot of work, but that's part of the game. After all the upgrader saved money for years by not upgrading.

Second, as long as IM5/IM2017 is available (same database format), the last 32bit version can be used for conversion. The most recent IMatch version can then be used to automatically convert the database. (Maybe Mario can keep the last 32bit somewhere and offer conversion at a small fee - let's say the upgrade cost of the last 4 years + a small addition).

There's no such thing as a free lunch. 64bit is (afaik) very widespread by now and the IMatch developer-team needs to earn some money as well :)

Mario

An external database converter is only required for IMatch 3 databases. IMatch 2017 can open and automatically upgrade all IMatch 5 databases.

The special treatment of the 3x database was because of the totally different database structure in IMatch 5.
The "32-bit IMatch only for the 3.x converter" limitation was because of the 3rd party components required to convert the thumbnails (IMatch 3 did use a proprietary format, not JPEG/PNG for thumbnails).

The database format used by IMatch 2017.13 is seventeen (17!) versions apart from IMatch 5. New features often require additions or changes to the database. All these upgrades were done behind the cutain, when a database was opened for the first time with the new version. No explicit conversion required, no stress for the user  ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

BanjoTom

— Tom, in Lexington, Kentucky, USA

Jingo

same here.. 64bit all the way...  no need for the old version

ThomasAdams

Mario,

Good with 64bit version moving forward. Have backed up DB prior to upgrade and kept the last 32bit version with backups (just in case).

Thank you
Tom

markkums

I believe I do not need 32-bit version. I say "believe" as I do not know if there may be any kind of interaction with some slave application (opened/called from iMatch), but , probably none.
'
B.r: Markku

Aubrey

Quote from: Aubrey on January 18, 2018, 04:07:54 PM

I've bought an old 64 bit machine on ebay to run IMatch Anywhere. So my requirement for 32 bit (I think I was the only user!) can be removed.

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

There was so far only 1 vote for the 32-bit edition. If this was yours, you were the only one  :D
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ColinIM

Quote from: Mario on January 18, 2018, 10:09:32 PM
The database converter is only for IMatch 3 databases. IMatch 2017 will open IMatch 5 databases automatically, converting them to the current database format when first opened.
In my post above I wrongly used the phrase "convert my databases" when I should have said "convert my database structures"! Sorry.

(And I apologise for returning to this after so many days ...)

From the notes I had kept during the original launch of IMatch 2017 and then later during the launch of the 64-bit edition of IMatch 2017, I believed that there were two particular changes to our database structures which we must observe, and that these must occur in a particular sequence:

1. Our database structure is 'significantly' modified when we first open an IMatch 5 database in the then new IMatch 2017.
   (keeping in mind that we only had 32-bit versions of IMatch 2017 in those earlier months.)

... and then, in the next major IMatch step ...

2. Our (32-bit) IMatch 2017 database structure is significantly modified again when we first open a (32-bit) database in a 64-bit edition of IMatch 2017.

(I know there have been other database structure changes in addition to those 'most significant' structure changes.)

My interpretation of the various Release Notes was that - when we progress from a 32-bit IMatch 5 database to a 64-bit installation of IMatch 2017 - we should not skip that first 32-bit step (labelled number 1. above).

In other words, we should not open a 32-bit IMatch 5 database directly into a 64-bit edition of IMatch 2017.

Perhaps I interpreted the Release notes too cautiously!?

So my question is:  Will all those intermediate database structure changes occur without a problem if we open a 32-bit IMatch 5 database directly into a 64-bit edition of IMatch 2017?

I'll be very pleased if the answer is 'yes' because it would save me quite a lot of time!!

Thanks,

Mario

All implicit database upgrades that take place when you open an existing IMatch database in a later version of IMatch are upwards compatible. No difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit editions.
IMatch databases are exchangeable between 32-bit and 64.bit editions of IMatch.

Quoteif we open a 32-bit IMatch 5 database directly into a 64-bit edition of IMatch 2017?

All later editions of IMatch have "the code" required to transform / upgrade older databases as needed.
Only in very exceptional cases (like the switch from IMatch 3 to IMatch 5 back in 2014) a separate database conversion was required.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on February 10, 2018, 10:41:48 AM
There was so far only 1 vote for the 32-bit edition. If this was yours, you were the only one  :D

Yes, my vote was the only one for 32 bit... this need has now gone away.

Thanks!

cthomas

Quote from: Mario on February 12, 2018, 08:57:12 AM
All implicit database upgrades that take place when you open an existing IMatch database in a later version of IMatch are upwards compatible. No difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit editions.
IMatch databases are exchangeable between 32-bit and 64.bit editions of IMatch.

Quoteif we open a 32-bit IMatch 5 database directly into a 64-bit edition of IMatch 2017?

All later editions of IMatch have "the code" required to transform / upgrade older databases as needed.
Only in very exceptional cases (like the switch from IMatch 3 to IMatch 5 back in 2014) a separate database conversion was required.

32 bit long gone.
Carl

Montana, USA
The Big Sky State

jelvers

HaWo

Use the 64 bit version only und schon längst kommentarlos abgestimmt.
Hans-Wolfgang

WebEngel

When 64 Imatch was released first, I remember the recommendation was to stick to 32 unless needed.

I now looked and saw that the statement is "for 64 Win, use 64 Imatch"

Has this changed in the meantime?  I run 32 Imatch on my 64 Win7.

Mario

The idea was to switch to 64-bit, unless 32-bit was required. That was never different.
The 64-bit edition of IMatch is faster in all aspects. Unless you absolutely have to run 32-bit software, switch now.
I won't support the 32-bit version for much longer. No need.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

stevebiker

Hi Mario,
I only use 64 bit versions. Don't need 32bit.

Best regards, Stefan
Grüße aus Wien
Stefan

altae

I'd suggest stopping development of the 32 bit version. It's 2018 and 64 bit has been around for more than 10 years. Even the big players like MS, Apple etc. are considering abandoning their 32 bit versions. 32 bit only hardware is now probably 5 + years old, at some point hardware simply becomes outdated.

Mario

Poll closed. Thanks to all who participated.

IMatch 2018 and IMatch Anywhere™ 2018 will only be available as 64-bit editions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator