IMatch does not give me back !

Started by emef, February 02, 2018, 04:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emef

Hello everyone,
I come back to you with and still the same problem: at one point IMatch no longer gives me the hand for sometimes more than twenty minutes (sometimes more).
And that without any logic when I try to write the unwritten metadata, it can as much put an indefinable time for one or two photos, and go very fast for more than 20 photos (but it is rather rare).
Following the advice of Mario, I have verified that IMatch was no longer monitored by my anti-virus (Kaspersky Internet Security), nor the program itself, nor the database. I even pushed things to disconnect from the Internet and stop Kaspersky. Nothing changes.
The only way to regain control is to force IMatch to stop by the Windows Seven Task Manager. So I saved the logfile (in extended mode, but the file seems too big to be posted) and one screen copy, that I attached to this message.

If anyone can help me, I thank him in advance because it becomes a little hopeless.

emef

Small precision: When I stop IMatch by the program manager, there are several Exiftools processes that seem to be running at the same time, as well as two IMatch processes that are running too. Is this normal? (see attached file)

Mario

Quote from: emef on February 02, 2018, 04:58:43 PM
Small precision: When I stop IMatch by the program manager, there are several Exiftools processes that seem to be running at the same time, as well as two IMatch processes that are running too. Is this normal? (see attached file)
This is normal. The IMatch processors host the Chromium Browser and IMatch uses several ExifTool processes simultaneously.
When this happens the next time, open the TEMP folder on your system by typing

%TEMP%

into the Windows Explorer address bar. Locate the file IMATCH6_LOG.TXT and make a copy of it. ZIP and attach. This will tell us more about your database. I don't even know how many files it has, how many categories, if IMatch is processing files and is being blocked by damaged metadata etc.

Make sure your virus checker does not scan the files in the folder containing your database (add IMatch as an exception).
In many cases this is what causes problems and makes IMatch unresponsive. Or your virus checker is blocking ExifTool... The log file will tell us.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

emef

Here is the file requested ... I hope it will help you help me ...  ;)
Thank you.

Mario

Your database is quite small (less than 30K files). There should be nothing that takes long.

Your database is loaded from drive H: What kind of drive is this? External USB? Network?
You should always store your IMatch database on your fastest disk.

Database operations like recaluclating categories or collections seem to be very slow. Especially for such a large database.
This usually means that the database is stored on a very slow disk or that a virus checker is ruining performance by constantly scanning the database. Do you have configured the folder containing the database as an exception in your virus checker? To prevent it from scanning the database every time IMatch makes a change?
Since the database is so slow it is often blocking IMatch. This is very unusual.

This log file also shows many warnings about "unsupported files" for your NEF files. You apparently have no NEF WIC codec installed or switched IMatch to use it's internal RAW processing. But even LibRaw does not support
your NEF files. Which camera do you use?

IMatch tries various ways to extract an image from your files, which slows it down because nothing works. Please install a WIC Codec for your camera. See the IMatch help and here for more info.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

emef

Quote from: Mario on February 03, 2018, 07:47:41 AM

>Your database is loaded from drive H: What kind of drive is this? External USB? Network?
>You should always store your IMatch database on your fastest disk.

H: is one of my internal disks. This is a 700 gigabyte SSD, where I place my programs (including IMatch) and of course databases.

>Database operations like recaluclating categories or collections seem to be very slow. Especially for such a large database.
>This usually means that the database is stored on a very slow disk or that a virus checker is ruining performance by constantly scanning the database. Do you have configured the folder containing the >database as an exception in your virus checker? To prevent it from scanning the database every time IMatch makes a change?
>Since the database is so slow it is often blocking IMatch. This is very unusual.

I have long declared IMatch a trusted program in Kaspersky Internet Security, as well as Phil harvey's program. I just added the new version of Nikon codecs. But the problem also occurs when I try to write the metadata for my files from my Fuji XT2.

>This log file also shows many warnings about "unsupported files" for your NEF files. You apparently have no NEF WIC codec installed or switched IMatch to use it's internal RAW processing. But even LibRaw >does not support your NEF files. Which camera do you use.

I have NEF files of several Nikon devices: D70, D200 and D3.
Since the end of 2014, I only work with Fuji cameras (XT1 and XT2).

>IMatch tries various ways to extract an image from your files, which slows it down because nothing works. Please install a WIC Codec for your camera.
>See the IMatch help and here for more info.

I had already installed the codecs for Nikon (latest version of this codec) and I just acquired the FastPictureViewer Professional 1.9.360.0. I hope this will solve the problem of extracting the file image.
I hope now to have no conflict between Nikon codecs, Fuji and FastpictureViewer. Can they all work together?  ::)

Thank you for your reply.

Mario

Please don't write your entire reply in a quote. This makes your answers hard to spot and you will get help less likely.

Your database is small and on a SSD. Yet it performs a lot worse than my 150,000 files test database.
There must be something badly interfering with disk transfer speeds on your system. The performance looks more like a database on a network storage or super-slow external disk. A typical behavior for on-access virus checkers interfering with the database. Try to disable Kasperky and see how this affects performance.

Tip: Search the log file afterwards for #sl to find operations which perform slowly.

Select one of the NEF files which fail to load (search the log file you have attached for W> to find the names of the NEF files) in a file window. Then run Help > Support > WIC diagnosis. This will tell you if your WIC codec handles the file.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

I assume you have also disabled windows Defender which is standard on Windows.
(You would not be the first who runs more than one virus checker without knowing it.)

emef

Yes of course. He is stopping in the Windows processes since forever.

Carlo Didier

emef, you wrote you set iMatch as a trusted application in Kaspersky, but did you also explicitely exclude the folder with your database from real-time scanning?

emef

Normally yes. I have informed, as well as everything related to IMatch and Exiftool software, in all exclusions analysis that I could see.

But I just realized that my system cache (virtual memory) was only 8 gigas, I have it to 24 gigas (in addition to my 16 gigas of ram). I would see if that changes anything.

Thank you all for your help.   :)

Mario

IMatch is perfectly happy with 500MB to 1GB RAM. For a small database like yours, even 300 MB will do fine.
If you have 16GB RAM Windows should not need any swap memory at all, unless you run Photoshop all the time...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator