Replace TIFF files in database with JPEG-s

Started by Ahto, February 06, 2018, 08:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ahto

One of my databases consists of scanned photos, part TIFF-s and part JPEG-s. I'd like to replace all TIFF images (about 1000) with same files converted to JPEG and keep all metadata and categories assigned. So the end result is only JPG files. How to achieve this?

Mario

This is a very uncommon task...

Probably I would start with adding the JPEGs to the database and make them versions of the TIFF files.
Then propagate metadata from the master (TIFF) to the versions (categories, metadata).
Then delete the TIFF files or remove them from the database (with the "Remove from Database" command).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

Mario forgot to mention that you can use the batch processor to convert the tiff files to jpg.
This will actually allow you to copy some metadata in the process - may as well.

Specify the same name for the jpg file.
First set up a file relation that specifies the jpg files as a version of the tiff file of same name.
There you can specify what categories should be copied and also other metadata.
If you do this first then as the jpg files are added they automatically get all the data.

As always: try it first with one or a few files.