IMatch Categories Accessed Via Search Bar

Started by Darius1968, February 19, 2018, 08:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

As it currently stands, the search bar, above the file window allows for searches on the file name, as well as on other metadata.  Among these, are the image keywords, but the private answer to keywords, IMatch Categories cannot be accessed via the search bar, nor can they be sought out in global searches, via a value filter, one that uses process of elimination to give the user a choice to pick from among all different values that are contained within a given scope of files, presented in the file window. 
I know that with the IMatch Categories, there's the category builder, which serves as a building block to a Formula Category, which is useful, if you need such a category over time, but for a more one-time kind of a need, this becomes more tedious than just entering the keywords in the search bar.  Similarly, the category filter is good for limiting the scope on categories that have simple hierarchies, but when it is desired to have complex filters, it helps to just be able to enter in the data to the search bar. 
In considering the above, I'm proposing that the IMatch interface could have a tag set aside for the IMatch Categories, to let the user seek out, via the search bar.   

Mario

You can search for categories in the category tree, in either the Category View or Category Panel.
There is the Category Filter in the Filter Panel which allows you to quickly find any combination of categories, even combine it with other filters.
If you want to search for @Keyword categories, you can search for hierarchical keywords instead using a values filter or the File Window search bar.
You can create formula categories or use the Category @Builder for ad-hoc searches.
You can even, if you really have to, create data-driven categories based on category variables (a very powerful tool for certain use cases).

Duplicating the entire category hierarchy in per-file metadata could create a huge drag on performance. Adding/removing files to/from a category takes almost no time. The same is true for renaming or moving categories. If all these operations would have to be mirrored in artificial per-file metadata tags they would become 1000 times slower. Besides other technical things.

I see no use case where the category filter would not work but a tag-based filter would.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook