Very slow startup process / thumbnail loading

Started by meyersoft, February 13, 2018, 12:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meyersoft

Hi,
for some days now, I observe that imatch takes very long to start.
It shows the usual startup behaviour, but before displaying the thumbnails, it shows "Loading 'xxx' with yy files".
This takes approx 20 secs.
The same delay appears when switching from category view to folder view for the first time.
During this time, CPU load is high (60%) and data media load is at 100% (observed via task manager)
A zipped debug logfile from the startup process is attached.
Of course, I do not remember having changed something system relevant... :)

The database is on an SSD, image files on another SSD.
Antivirus skips the database folder. I have also completely disabled antivirus for test, without difference.
System is a notebook with Core-i7, 8GB, Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Geforce GT 650M.
Using latest imatch 64 bit 2017.14.2
Thumbnail size is 300.
Changing thumbnail display to "Thumbs only" makes no difference, so the problem seems to be the thumbnail, not the metadata load.

Database contains 73000 files (jpg+raw) with a total size of 600GB.
The database has a size of 2.3GB.
Database is optimized and compacted.

Any ideas?

Mario

The file window reports "73185 in scope" which means that it has loaded all files in the database, in "Show all levels" mode, inclusive grouping by folder/category.
This takes 20 seconds.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

meyersoft

Thanks for the hint, Mario.
I double checked - I was on a sub-category in the category view showing only one level (up to 100 files maybe).
This was the active view.
On the folder view, I was on the main folder, showing all levels, with hierarchy.

After changing the folder view to some subfolder (pretty less than 73000 files....), startup is normal again.
Solved, great, thanks!

One remaining question: Why does imatch load the thumbnails of the non-active folder view and not only the thumbnails of the active (category) view?
This is even more strange since the delay is added again when switching from category to folder view, so the folder view thumbnails seem to be loaded again.

meyersoft

Quote from: meyersoft on February 13, 2018, 03:15:43 PM
One remaining question: Why does imatch load the thumbnails of the non-active folder view and not only the thumbnails of the active (category) view?
This is even more strange since the delay is added again when switching from category to folder view, so the folder view thumbnails seem to be loaded again.
Shall I open a bug report for this?

Mario

This is not a bug.

There are 100 potential reasons why a view may need to reload its contents even when currently not active, e.g. during restoring / loading a workspace, when processing certain messages, aps running in the background etc.

IMatch minimizes this and unless you happen to have the entire database in scope you won't even notice.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook