Rename function

Started by MichaelR, February 20, 2018, 12:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelR

Hi,

We use the rename function in Imatch 5, (Commands > File > Renamer...   Processing Instructions:Text and Variables + Unique Number) [IMatch places filenames beginning with an underscore, such as for example: _1234.jpg, at the start of the list while exiftool places them at the end.]
The input is a batch of photos and we would like to have the output in the same sequence. Imatch5 places the images in a new sequence. My question is if the issue can be tackled?

We would like to retain the sequence because we have a a spreadsheet with the old filenames, the descriptions etc. And we would like to add the new filenames to the spreadsheet. Therefore the sequence should be identical.

The sequence we have is the output file from Phil Harvey's exiftool.

At the moment we rename the files with .bat. We have an issue as .bat doesn't process files with certain symbols in the file name. In Imatch we don't have this issue.

Thanks in advance for your time and attention,

Michael

Mario

I'm not quite sure about the nature of your problem...

If you don't specify a sort profile in the Renamer, it processes the files in the order in which they appear in the file window.
Via sort profiles you can produce any thinkable sort order for files in IMatch.

The _ character is lexicographically smaller than a-Z or A-Z and hence it will always sort on top if you sort alphabetically. You will see the same behavior in Windows Explorer or Excel. If ExifTool somewhere sorts files with names containing a _ to the end of whatever list, this is some sort of special handling of the _ character that is specific to ExifTool. This cannot be recreated in IMatch.

If you process files with ExifTool somehow outside of IMatch, maybe you can persist the custom sort order in some metadata tag and then sort by that tag in IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

Look into sort profiles.
There are different setting by which you can have imatch sort the file names. Maybe one of the options
does it like you like.

MichaelR

Thanks for the information.

Friendly greetings,

Michael