A quicker way to see, what the search bar searches

Started by sinus, February 28, 2018, 10:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Hi,

I often use the search bar. It works very good.
And we have now, after some enhancements from Mario, a really good and quick search-bar.

From my point of view this "quickness" does a bit suffer from the fact, that we have to look each time (if we are not completely sure), what the choosen preferences are.

If I want to search for filenames only, I have to click on the drop-down to see, if I had choosen this.
The same for other things.

This "control" step would be in fact not necessary, if I could see, what I had the last time choosed, without having to open the drop-down.
In my case I leave mostly "Advanced search", "Also search in Attributes" and "AND/NOT consider all tags".

So I know, this is ok. But what changes often, is if I want to choose

- Search everywhere
- Search file names only

Hence I ask at least for these two entries (search where), that I can see, what is enabled, without having open the drop-down-list.

The best and quickest way for me would be, when at least would be one icon on the right of the small "drop-down-triangle", where we could see, if the filename-search is enabled or the everywhere-search.
Very cool would be, if we could simply push on such an icon to enable it.

Would be simply more convenient and quicker ... and room on the right side for such an icon is really there (even for the other choosable entries for the drop-down).

This FR is not very important, I think, it would make the search bar quicker for those people, who jumps often from file-search to search-everywhere and back.

I tried to show with the attachements, like it is now, and one other possibility (in this case the filename would be enabled)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Remember that the buttons already fill the entire toolbar on smaller screens. No room for more buttons.

If this is really an issue for more than a few users, we could easier implement some sort of dynamic tooltip which pops up when you point the mouse at the button. The tooltip lists the enabled options in some form...

Why do you have to change the options so often?
I usually set it to file name + common metadata and that's it...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on February 28, 2018, 11:14:06 AM
Remember that the buttons already fill the entire toolbar on smaller screens. No room for more buttons.

If this is really an issue for more than a few users, we could easier implement some sort of dynamic tooltip which pops up when you point the mouse at the button. The tooltip lists the enabled options in some form...

Why do you have to change the options so often?
I usually set it to file name + common metadata and that's it...

I see, Mario, not thought at laptops and so on.

I often search on the way, when I spot a file and then I see, that I could e.g. delete some images from this event.
Then a filename-search is the best for me, because then I can be sure, that not other fields have the same value (like 2012 or bauer ...).

Then I search, delete, that's it.
But the next time I want search for a specific value in the metadata, but this value could also be in the filename for other events.

Maybe this depends also a bit on my long filenames, because I have names like "20161214-0840-304413-s-coo-bananen_a", here a search for "bananen" would also bring some files with this term in the metadata-fields.
But if I search for filenames, I can be sure, there are only files from this event (e.g. search "coo-bananen").

Hm, as I wrote, not that important and your idea with a kind of "dynamic tooltip" would be of course also a very good thing.

But let's look, maybe I am the only one, who would like to see something with this problem, then it is clear, what to do: nothing.  8)

(btw: I would not miss my long filenames, they are for me really very good)
Markus

Mario

I have implemented the dynamic tooltip for IMatch 2018.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on March 01, 2018, 04:37:15 PM
I have implemented the dynamic tooltip for IMatch 2018.

Yeah, thanks for that! Great!  :)
Markus

Mario

This is how it looks:

This should be helpful, without causing too much disturbance in the UI.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Yes, this helps a lot, thanks! 
Looks very good and is simply helpful :D
Markus