Move images / db to a new machine

Started by sampson, March 04, 2018, 02:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sampson

I store all of my images in an external volume  \Pics\1
In my old Windows machines, I mount

c:\live\Pics -> ExternalDrive:\Pics,

In iMatch, I added this folder c:\live\Pics\1

Before switch to my new machine, I do a pack and go of everything.

At my new machine:

I also mount c:\live\Pics -> ExternalDrive:\Pics

I install iMatch (same version) to my new machine.

I do a pack and go restore.  Move / Copy files to the correct location.

When I open the restored database, iMatch is giving me an Exclaimation Makr on every sub-folders of c:\live\Pics\1 under the Media & Folders view.

And when I click on any folder, there is no images shown.

What have I did wrong?  What should be the correct procedure that I should use?

ps.  In pack and go restore, it takes a lot time doing DB diagnostics.  How can it be avoided?

Mario

The exclamation mark tells you that IMatch cannot find or access the folder.
Did you try to Relocate the drive node? See relocate in the IMatch help index for details.

QuoteAnd when I click on any folder, there is no images shown.

This would be very unusual. IMatch does never remove files from a database, except resulting from a user action.
IMatch will show files also for folders currently off-line or inaccessible.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sampson

Thank you Mario.

Certainly I can try that.

As from Windows Explorer's point of all, all images are still at

c:\live\Pics\1

Then why iMatch cannot locate them?

ubacher

QuoteThen why iMatch cannot locate them?

That would be because the Media Id has changed. Thus you need the relocate command.

Mario

IMatch can handle any number of media from the same drive. It hence identifies each media by the unique serial number. If this changes (e.g. you move all your files from D: to new disk also mounted as D:) IMatch will mark the files off-line. Because the new D: has a different media serial number.

When you use the Relocate command on the drive / media node, you show IMatch where these files are now. IMatch will update the database with the new serial number and bring bring all folders back on-line.

You also use relocate when you move / rename folders or files outside of IMatch. To tell IMatch the new location of these folders/files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sampson

Relocate worked.

I relocated from c:\live\Pics\1 to c:\live\Pics\1

Then iMatch hanged.

I killed it and restart, then all my folders are shown as online.

Thank you very much to Mario and ubacher for the helps!

Mario

How long did you wait for IMatch to become responsive again? It may have been stopped dead by the Windows file system or maybe a virus checker? Did you exclude the folder containing the database from your virus checker on the new system?

Did you keep the IMatch log file from that session?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator