Update Check failed

Started by bonsai, March 03, 2018, 07:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonsai

IMatch v2017.14.2
Check for updates is disabled
When I start IMatch it asks for the internet. Why?
I don't allow the connection, then I get the message "Update Check failed" (of course).
But why doesn't IMatch follow the setting?

Mario

If you deliberately have disabled the update check, IMatch still checks once a month. This is hard-coded and cannot be disabled.

Why would you deliberately disable the check for a new version?
IMatch just pulls an XML document from the server to check for new versions. Via an encrypted HTTPS connection.
IMatch does not send any secret data and I don't care for your IP address etc. I'm not selling data to others or something...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

bonsai

Quote from: Mario on March 03, 2018, 08:06:26 PM
If you deliberately have disabled the update check, IMatch still checks once a month. This is hard-coded and cannot be disabled.
Why? So the switch is useless.

Why would you deliberately disable the check for a new version?
I take care for my software myself. But why do you ask? For what reason then there's an option to disable the check? And why is IMatch looking anyway?

IMatch does not send any secret data...
Other data?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think you are doing fancy things. Otherwise I wouldn't use the software.
But I don't like that I can't trust my settings. And for me it doesn't make sense that a DAM has to connect to the internet except it is looking for data ex. GEO.

Mario

IMatch sends the product id. The server needs to know which version to check.

https://www.photools.com/phpapi/v1/extCheckVersion?productId=400

This checks for available updates for IMatch 2017.

You can see what IMatch is sending and retrieving in any proper firewall or network spy. If you are so concerned about this you surely have such a tool.

I will remove the disable update check option in future versions most likely. It's senseless. IMatch should be able to inform the user when an update is available.
Probably I'll even add an automatic download for updates, because so many users run with outdated IMatch versions. I can tell, from the log files I receive for bug reports for bugs fixed months ago. The users just did not bother to keep their IMatch version up-to-date. You have to "force" (softly and nicely) users these days to update their software - because most are lazy, don't care or are just to automatic updates from their smart phones. Or use IMatch only every couple of weeks and don't keep track of anything. Only a fraction of the IMatch user base participates in this community and even less follow me on FB or Twitter. And many disable the "newsletter" option when they purchase IMatch - which means I cannot even reach them when something important happens...sigh. German angst, everywhere.

Quotethat a DAM has to connect to the internet except it is looking for data ex. GEO.
IMatch could use that to send all kinds of data to everywhere. As do all the 50+ other background apps running on your PC. I just don't care. You have nothing I want and I don't make side-money from selling my customer data. I even keep my web site and this community ad-free, although it would help to pay for the cost...

If you don't like this, just block IMatch in your firewall.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

In this case, Bonsai, you cannot use nowadays a  lot of software and other stuff.
Here, with IMatch, you can write the developer and he does answer.

Maybe you should also write to Adobe, Microsoft, Android and so on and see, if you get an answer.  ;)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

bonsai

Quote from: Mario on March 04, 2018, 10:38:34 AM
I will remove the disable update check option in future versions most likely. It's senseless.
Thats what I suspected you will do :D
But no, it's useless cause the override though it would be usefull.
I don't want to be forced to anything, I decide myself what happens to my machine.
As you can see I'm on the current version. But I always wait a few days after a release just to see that it's not buggy in any way.
If you will force downloads and updates in the future (we know this method from a small company named Microsoft) IMatch will definitely be behind the firewall!

German angst, everywhere.
No, persönliche Vorsicht...

I even keep my web site and this community ad-free, although it would help to pay for the cost...
That's investment into your business and I appreciate your very nice product support!

Mario

IMatch will not download updates automatically (waste of bandwidth). It will probably just offer a "Download now" button (with a email / license key entry form) so users can save the effort to open their browser and the customer portal web site. Then, after the download, IMatch would offer to close and run the installer. This should reduce the barrier to keep IMatch updated.

You can do whatever you want on your PC. Block IMatch with a firewall if you like, IMatch will still work (except map panel and all features which require access to external web services). If you take care for updating all software and services on your PC manually, feel free to do so. I'm happy than Ubuntu checks for updates and lets me download them with a click. Or that my virus checkers and Windows keep themselves up-to-date automatically. I have enough other things to worry about. For all else - firewall.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator